Built-n Microwave air flow??

What is the required area around a microwave that is required for air flow? We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel. We've been told we are required to have a microwave trim kit for a full-sized microwave in order for their to be sufficient air circulation. The trim kit, however, is awfully large and is really cutting back on our pantry space.

Is a trim kit required for a microwave to be within a cabinet? Again, is their a minimum distance required around the microwave to assure proper air flow?

Thanx much for your help.

Reply to
Owlman

I am on my second one, and I don't have a trim kit; everything is as tight as can be. But maybe that is why the first one only lasted 21 years!

Good Luck.

Reply to
toller

Have you ever considered vising the manufacturer's website and seeing if you can download and RTFM?

For example:

TCS

Our's owners manual stated clearances, but I did build it tighter - No trim kit - have 4-1/4" 'slop' on the two sides.

- Opening Dimensions 24"w x 12"h x 13"d (shelf)

Got pix online if you wish to see -

Rick

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

If it's blocked in too tight the overheat sensor will shut the MW down. Eventually that sensor will need to be changed. Usually this happens when someone cooks for a longer period that allows the magnatron to get real hot. Warming a coffee wouldn't do it. so if you want to use your MW to its full potential make sure that exhaust air can move freely. The back and bottom are generally the exhaust areas. An inch and a half is sufficient. But of course check the manufacturer's recommendations.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
Phisherman

Again,

I've never seen a MW vented on top. I suppose anything is possible, but MW manufacturere try to protect themselves from liability too much to do that except in a commercial application where the installation is custom. The reason is that it's too easy for people to lay something on top of the oven and block the vent if it's on top. They don't vent on the side either for similar reasons. When they vent on the bottom or rear they usually have feet on the bottom or a partially raised piece of sheet metal on the back to force at least some vent space.

Reply to
Al Bundy