We got a call from my (86 year old) Mum today to say that she saw
smoke coming out of her microwave so she unplugged it and carried it
out into the garden!
It's not a modern lightweight jobby either, a pretty substantial one
we bought her around 30 years ago.
Now she knows not to put anything metal in it and has been using it
for 30 years (after all), and was apparently, just warming some soup
when it happened. The only 'thing' is that she also left a light,
clear plastic food tub / punnet in there as well (she didn't spot it
because it was transparent) but that didn't seem to have suffered so
presumably didn't get hot itself?
Can anyone suggest what happened from this picture (taken looking up
inside at the top):?
Is that circle the output port of the magnetron you can see though the
A question this raises is that are old microwaves a fire risk (and if
so why), as ours is probably older than mums was. We did try to find a
more colour coordinated microwave the last time we decorated the
kitchen but couldn't find anything that was as substantial and
capacious without being more complicated or expensive. ;-(
Cheers, T i m
The magnetron is usually at the side, working through an RF transparent
;window. That looks as if it could be the result of the rusting oven
liner, making poor contact with the rest of the lining. That would
concentrate the heating effect, causing a blast such as that. Or
perhaps a spoon was left in a bowl and that made contact with the
On Tue, 24 May 2016 22:30:18 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
I can't remember what else was inside other than the 'plastic' panel
at the top, part of which you saw melted.
I don't think it made a noise as such (although you might have
expected it to have done, looking at that damage) and (luckily?) Mum
was in the kitchen at the time and although a bit 'mutton' these days,
would probably have heard that?
Well, again, I wasn't there so only have her word for it but she
assures us that she was just doing what she has always done and
because it's (was) a pretty big oven, would have taken a fair sized
spoon to have gone anywhere near the sides (and certainly the top) if
left in a bowl?
FWIW, we replaced one of the two series 120V (or whatever they were)
lamps a few years back and cleaned it out while we were there (there
was a fair bit of 'fluff' over things). It amazed us just how well
everything was made and how clean it still was (considering it has
been used in a kitchen for 30 years). ;-)
Cheers, T i m
 "These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial
stormtroopers are so precise." By ? ;-)
I had an old philips go like this many years ago. The bloke who condemned it
suggested that the rust on the microwave door seals might have changed the
cavity perameters enough to cause hot spots to move. I'm assuming he meant
standing waves or reflected power back into the magnetron area. It was a
strange beast as it had no turntable but a rotating aerial which of course
was never as good as a turntable. I cannot see your picture obviously, but
there are so many things that can cause reflected power to be in the wrong
place, that you may never know. Most things in microwaves are supposed to be
non flamable but presumably that does not mean melting will not happen if
they get hot enough!
I now have a talking one from Cobolt.
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
Yes, I was aware of things causing issues like that and have no way of
knowing if Mum left something else in there that caused such
Understood. This one has (had) a big glass turntable but I don't know
if it also had the stirrer fan / rotating aerial (as mentioned later
in the thread).
Basically it looks like there is a 'non metal' panel in the middle of
the roof of the microwave and offset from the middle was a fairly
clean round hole about the size of a 50p piece right through the
plastic. The plastic food container Mum left in there accidentally
(she keeps the (microwave use) food cover stacking tray and a couple
of other things in there between uses) had some of the plastic from
whatever fell out of the roof in it and the edges of the hole have
some drippage, as would be typical of some thermo plastic that had hot
very hot. There is also some smoke damage around the hole.
That is where we are I think Brian. The microwave went straight down
the dump (daughter was going that way) so I'll not have chance to see
Yes, I don't think there was an actual risk of a fire because I think
it was all over once the bit that melted actually melted.
Mum would need one with a very loud voice! ;-)
It's funny. She's never worked in an office or needed to use a
typewriter but because her hearing isn't so good she can communicate
easier with us by typing on the likes of MSN Messenger now Skype than
she can on the phone. We just have to be patient re waiting for a
Cheers, T i m
On Wed, 25 May 2016 09:51:53 -0700 (PDT), firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
That could well have been the cause in this case but it would have
been the first time in 30 years (not that stops it being the case
In hindsight you may have been right, but I was pretty sure a genuine
replacement (anything) wouldn't have been available and I wasn't sure
what I could have replaced it with that would have been 'safe' etc?
People are (especially these days), I'm generally not, in fact I've
save many_an_item from being dumped, either directly or via Freecycle
As it happens, whilst the microwave was taken away by our daughter, it
hadn't been dumped yet so I got the chance to take it to bits tonight.
I think it's done well to last 30 years and daughter has bought Mum a
replacement as she wanted to. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
p.s. Tonight I saved a Dyson DC04 from being dumped by stripping the
main beater-brush down and cleaning and re-lubing the bearings. It
probably needs a pair of belts as they have never been changed but it
seems to be going ok for now.
On Wednesday, 25 May 2016 20:25:01 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I've found they work better than the other hoovers I've had, they arent perfect but they cetainly worked better.
Although I haven't tried the new look a likes.
And I prefer Macs lots of peole given the choice do.
Yesterday, I saw a local council truck, one of those with a metal cage
around the load, it was absolutely brim full of Dyson vacs. There must
have been hundreds of them. It just seemed odd that there were just
Dyson vacs in there.
On Thu, 26 May 2016 13:47:09 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
I wonder if they have someone who will buy them off the Council /
Refuse_site_franchise to refurbish them?
In the old days you could buy that sort of thing from the tip, often
for just a couple of quid but now Elfin Safety won't let you.
Luckily we still have Freecycle. The stepdaughter came round and
mentioned her vacuum cleaner wasn't very good (even from new).
I had quick look on Freecycle and someone was offering a Dyson
multi-cyclone jobby locally. Long-short, got it home an hour later,
cleaned it out with the Henry and it was working as good as new. I
didn't let her take it but stripped it down completely and washed all
the plastic bits in the bath and after that it also looked like new.
She's still using it a few years later. ;-)
I've only ever bought one Dyson new (DC-01) and we don't really use it
much, preferring the Miele Big Cat n Dog for the main stuff (mainly
because it's quieter), the Dyson cylinder I got off Freecycle for the
car / stairs and the Henry for the heavier stuff.
We are considering a portable of some sort and have a little Lidl
Lithium jobby (that looks very much like the old B&D Dust Buster) but
it's pretty useless. I can't really justify the price of the Dyson
portables but not sure what else there is out there?
Cheers, T i m
On Thu, 26 May 2016 06:55:43 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
Ok, so what's so special about the 'Fluffy' over the 'Absolute, Total
Clean or Animal' (apart from it sounding a bit lame that is). ;-)
Would it last long enough to actually clean a car out to a reasonable
What would you say are it's strong and weal points in real-world use?
Cheers, T i m
On Thursday, 26 May 2016 14:27:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
Forgot to say that people have used dust pans/brooms for millenia and they are very cheap in fact you can make your own, whehter it will work as well as a dyson depends on yuor POV just like being in or out of the EU.
This should be the debate anthem.
The Clash :- Should I say or should I go.
Should I stay or should I go now...
If I stay they will be trouble, if I leave it will be double....
On Thu, 26 May 2016 07:26:22 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
Quite, and people (often with stone / dirt floors) are still using
bundles of twigs lashed together but I'm not sure how well they would
get into the nooks and crannies on the car? ;-)
I might try what our daughter does and clean the front of her van out
with a leaf blower. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.