Using "old-work" hi-hats for new construction

I am doing a small room in my basement which will be sheetrocked. In the past I have used new-work hi-hats, but I think it would be easier to use old work hi-hats for 2 reasons.

1) Can put up ceiling first then cut hole instead of cutting out hole before installing. 2) Can remove hi-hat to gain access to ceiling.

Anyone have inputs? Any disadvantages in doing this?

Reply to
Mikepier

The new work frames, are just a more durable installation.

Reply to
RBM

*I agree. The old work cans are only supported by the drywall unless you install them next to a beam and drive a screw in. You would still have access to the ceiling with new cans. They are made so that the "Can" can drop down or be pushed up for access to the junction box. It is also easier to lay out the recessed lights when you can see what obstacles will prevent you from installing a light in a certain area.
Reply to
John Grabowski

With a Rotozip you'll get a pretty much perfect hole either way.

What's hiding above that light that needs access?

It's pretty much of a toss up in my mind. It's a basement and you're the one doing the installation - your call.

RicodJour

I was not aware that you can remove the can on a new work hi-hat. Next time I go to Lowes I have to check it out. Basically I need access to the ceiling in case I need to run something in the future.

Reply to
Mike rock

I'll second the call for the Rotozip... if you don't have one, borrow/ rent it just for however many lights you have to put up... it will make the cut much easier, and will come out looking perfect.

Reply to
Zephyr