tanalized timber: paint or not?

I bought a length of 4" x 1" tanalized timber to replaxe my roof's rotting facia board. I also bought a can of clear liquid wood preservative to apply for good measure. My question is: will this timber facia last longer if I paint it with some kind of paint? This may seem like a silly question to so me, but I've often thought that painting might actually encourage rot, beca use if moisture finds its way under the paint, the paint could prevent the wood from drying out. I have a large garden gate which I made several years ago from tanalized timer which I then painted with old, used engine oil, a nd it is showing no sign of rot anywhere. So perhaps old, used engine oil i s a better bet than paint as a life-extender for exposed timber. What do yo u say? If you advocate paint, which type do you recommend?

TIA JD

Reply to
wasaol