Microwave overn turntable motor

The turntable in my Panasonic microwave has stopped going round. The obvious candidate is the motor, which is one of these:

take it that it can be tested simply by applying 240V across the terminals?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

> I take it that it can be tested simply by applying 240V across the > terminals?

Yes. It's a 50:50 chance which direction they rotate when started. Most people never notice that!

Access is usually via a hatch on the bottom of the case that you have to cut out yourself with a rat-tail file. The hatch then becomes removable with a single self-tapper which you may have to source yourself.

Reply to
Graham.

> I take it that it can be tested simply by applying 240V across the > terminals?

Yes - its a simple synchronous motor ac volts in, turns out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

>>> I take it that it can be tested simply by applying 240V across the >> terminals?

I'm pretty sure our Panasonic starts in the opposite direction each and every time it starts. Open the door for a moment, close and restart - goes in opposite direction. Not absolutely certain which direction it starts if it has been switched off at the mains - same as last time it was used, opposite or random. But I am not going to check it right now.

Rod

Reply to
polygonum

> I take it that it can be tested simply by applying 240V across the > terminals?

I'd expect so given what's written on it. Though if you are going to do a lash-up to test it, make sure you earth the body!

You must have the same microwave as me, and it must have come from the same batch, as mine has also stopped turning.

However, I now have a replacement from eBay to fit when I can find the 'tuits.

Search for F63265U04XN, I'm sure you'll find it cheaper than your espares quote.

Reply to
Adrian C

out yourself

to source yourself.

I'm not the OP, but yes, I did scratch my head looking at that servicing 'feature'. It's on my Panasonic. It seems one step beyond using security screws to ward off end-user interference, or maybe a bean counter disallowed expenditure on those screws....

Reply to
Adrian C

No help to the OP but I have a Panasonic microwave combination oven on its way to the WEE bin.......

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oh, I used a wallpaper scraper and a hammer, was that wrong?

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Heretic!

Haven't you stripped it for big magnets, an EHT transformer, microswitches and the rest?

My vacuum degassing rig works on an old microwave timer. The pump (a fridge compressor, not a real vacuum pump) doesn't like being run continuously against a vacuum, as it overheats. The microwave intermittent power control is just the job to drive it, and you get a free timer thrown in.

If the motor works, you can make this for Halloween

better with a better motor)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Free to responsible collector:-)

I already have a large magnet used for retrieving nails and other iron based material from the family bonfire site. High voltage transformer? I suspect substituting this for existing electric fence energisers may not be popular. Might be of interest to the *cat repeller* concerns:-)

There is another barn to rebuild before the undertaker screws down the lid.....

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Have you checked the spindle? just dumped a microwave but I did look under it and decided to salvage the motor - it worked - but I found the shaft had rusted. I suppose if it had got worse it could have siezed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

In message , DerbyBorn writes

I think my motors are OK. The unit died from unknown causes. Not the fuse anyway. Already replaced and we do not need two.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Most of the fun in that involves vacuum and glassworking.

Mind you, a friend up the road has just acquired a glass lampworking torch. Time we made some neon tubes!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Heretic!

Haven't you stripped it for big magnets, an EHT transformer, microswitches and the rest?

My vacuum degassing rig works on an old microwave timer. The pump (a fridge compressor, not a real vacuum pump) doesn't like being run continuously against a vacuum, as it overheats. The microwave intermittent power control is just the job to drive it, and you get a free timer thrown in.

If the motor works, you can make this for Halloween

better with a better motor)

Oven magnetron ring magnets aren't as strong as people make out. Harddrive actuator magnets are stronger.

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks to all who replied. I got a replacement motor for < 10 pounds on Ebay, and now my cocoa rotates again.

-- Richard

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Maybe a spoon would have been cheaper?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Minchin saying something like:

A spoon would get all sparky in the oven.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon