Microwave turntable motor

I have read previous post re turntable however my question is....

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non electrician (me) to replace the motor if possible. I think my underlying fear is the micro wave part zapping me.

Reply to
ss

It cannot run as long as the door is open, and even if it did, most modern ones seeing a very weird swr, will chop the power in a second or so, Not long enough to do any real harm, unless you happen to be holding a metal tool at the time! I imagine that where the drive system is, is not where the microwaves will go, or it would not last very long, and as long as its unplugged about half an hour before you dismantle anything it will have discharged at the magnetron end, though it might be that you only need to get at the bottom in any case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

2.4GHz is about 4" wavelength. The optics can't focus that. But it is very unevenly distributed, primarily due to cavity reflections. Watch a vid of someone nuking a lightbulb to see how uneven it is.

stirrers were normally powered by airflow, less often by a motor.

Yes. The 3rd & best method is to use both. The other best method is to move to a lower frequency, around 0.9GHz.

But it costs double the price of a decentish new machine!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wouldn't take the price on that Amazon page as being representative of anything. If I had $1000 for every item with an inflated price, I'd be a trillionaire :-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Austin Mirris did that all the time at Longbridge and Cowley.

Reply to
Andrew

Invented by Trevor Baylis ?.

(wind-up torch).

Reply to
Andrew

My parents had a wind up turntable. It rotated at 78rpm and you could play gramophone records on it.

Reply to
charles

Ha I still have one and a load of 78s to go with it.

Reply to
ss