Paint Garage Ceiling - which paint

  1. PVA sealer - opinion is divided some say it does not allow the paint to stick as well as it could

  1. Regular internal emulsion - simplest but might not stand the conditions for long. Maybe dilute the first coat?

  2. External Masonry paint

  1. Resin paint -
    Any advice appreciated, Mike

Reply to
Mike Gibbons

Any of those & many more can be used. The main tradeoffs are durability, fumes, cleanability, cost. Take your pick. I wouldn't rush to use pva myself. If for some reason I did, make sure its well diluted so it doesn't create a slick surface.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have to say, most people I see doing it are using external type paint, the sort you use on walls which have been rendered. If its used as a garage though, then you need something that won't flake off and make the car look like its been to a wedding. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

One difference is, you have to make sure the garage interior surface doesn't have mold or mildew on it. If the ceiling is a dark color, you have to make sure the surface is fit for painting.

The neighbors garage back home, was so filthy inside, you would not expect any sort of finish to stick to any of the surfaces inside. Not all garages are that dirty.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

What about oil-based eggshell?

Reply to
Scott

Thanks everyone - I think I will give it a go with two coats of trade emulsion

Reply to
Mike Gibbons