Garage Door Paint: Oil or Latex?

My question is similar to that of Puddin' Man's below. I also have non-insulated metal garage doors (probably aluminum) with original factory finish. They're nine years old and have become chalky. We live in the desert southwest, and the doors get about 6-7 hours of sun (depending on the season).

We contacted two professional painters. One said we should definitely use an oil-based (alkyd) paint because it will hold up better with our heat and sun. The second painter said we should definitely use acrylic (latex) paint, because oil paint dries rigid and, since the aluminum doors have a slight "give" to them, the oil paint would end up getting hairline cracks. He said acylic would be better since it's more flexible.

Does anybody have experience with oil paint cracking on metal garage doors? Any other comments?

Thanks... Steve

Reply to
Steve

You want to use latex exterior semigloss. It will expand with the door as it heats up in the sun. Do yourself a favor and add some Flotrol to the paint. It will brush out easier, level better, and leave fewer brush marks.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Rustoleum:)

Made for this application!

Reply to
hallerb

do you think the op should do something about removing existing oxidation before painting, if so what would you reccomend?

Reply to
sosessyithurts

Take the door down and have an auto bodyshop paint it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've had good luck using the auto body shop at the local vocational high school.

Reply to
Stubby

hell why stop there, he could get them to air brush some nude women on the door too

Reply to
sosessyithurts

That is what I used - door slight rusty, which I sanded down. Rusty metal primer, oil enamel. Lasted the 8+ years that I lived in that house after painting. West facing door.

Reply to
Norminn

Always. Just wash well and dry.

Reply to