Cedar fence- Behr Redwood oil latex redwood stain?

I have a cedar rail fence I put up 10 years ago. I've kept it cedar oil stained over the years, but the last coat I put on it about 6 weeks ago has already taken on a shabby gray look.

Behr redwood stain is inexpensive, and maybe it will drown out that old gray wood look that's showing through now.

My main concern is that I don't put something on there that's going peel

- I've seen fences like that and they look terrible.

Does anybody have any similar experience or know how well this Behr redwood stain works?

Thanks

Reply to
DaveT159

Latex stain will last for a couple of years and have to be done again.Varies with local weather conditions. The weathered gray will probably last for decades with NO maintenance. If you like to paint every few years, go with the latex.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't know what an "oil latex stain" is. If peeling is the concern, in general stains have less tendency to peel. A transparent stain I don't think can peel period. A solid stain has a lot less tendency to peel than paint, even though they are similar. The stain doesn't form as much of a film type coating. I have solid stain on my cedar siding and even if it's overdue for being done again, there is zero peeling. I do have some peeling on painted trim. With stain you have a choice of:

transparent semi-transparent semi-solid solid

It depends on how much of the wood texture, features, etc you want to show through. I would think for a cedar fence, you'd probably want solid. Benjamin Moore can do a solid stain in any color in a pint can for $7 to try it out.

Reply to
trader4

You're buying the brand because it's cheap. One would think you'd learn a lesson about being a cheapskate. Reach deep into those pockets and purchase a real stain, not piss water.

Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Dave,

We used Behr "Plus 10" Solid Color Stain, Color #534 - "Redwood Natural Tone" to stain our house. See the picture at the bottom of this page:

We sprayed it on with an HVLP sprayer the first time around and it lasted about five years. It never peeled, it kind of just weathered away until bare wood was starting to show through. I restained with the same stain a couple years ago, except I used a roller and a brush for better penetration and coverage. It will be interesting to see if it lasts any longer with this application method.

The solid color stain goes on more like paint than soaking in like stain typically does. This worked well in our case since we were covering plywood and caulking. Overall, we have been happy with the color and the performance.

On the other hand, I used Behr Deck stain (don't remember the type now) on our cedar deck and it was horrible. It went on very streaky and never looked good. I restained the deck last year and completely stripped back to bare wood. The second time around I used Sikkens oil stain (Teak color I believe). It went on MUCH nicer, had even coverage, and looks great. The only downside was the deck smelling like motor oil for a couple weeks. :) The Sikkens stain seemed to penetrate well, so I would think it would hold up better than the Behr stain that mostly just sat on the surface.

Regardless of which stain you use, I recommend using one of those deck cleaners (I think I used Behr brand) to remove the surface weathering and even out the color of the boards. You can also "carefully" pressure wash the fence to remove dirt and pollen. Give it a few days to dry out, then restain.

Good luck!

Anthony Watson watsondiy.com mountainsoftware.com

Reply to
HerHusband

I don't know about Behr wood stain specifically, but Consumer Reports recently rated their exterior paint a close second to Benjamin Moore and they gave it a best buy rating. I used their concrete paint and it performed fine. Also, I don't think Behr is particularly cheap. When I was last looking at solid stain for exterior, there wasn't a big difference in price. Don't get me wrong, I'd still take BM at about the same price. But I don't think Behr stuff is piss water either.

Reply to
trader4

We've used Behr ultra deck stain on a western facing deck and been very unhappy. The first year it went on raw pine and looked fine. Despite the promised 5-10 year life, by year 3 it needed to be redone as well as every year thereafter. Annual recoats looks like bad paint and don't wear well at all. Project this fall will be to sand down all 600 square feet and refinish with something much better.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle