Behr Latex Paint or Oil Based Paint for a Garage?

I don't know if oil based on latex paint is on my masonry garage. How can I find out if it'sd oil based or latex on the garage now? Is Behr Latex Exterior paint ok?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Rub the paint with some denatured alcohol on a rag. If the paint comes off, it's latex...if not, it's oil-based.

If it's oil-based you must prep the surface to take latex. Clean the surface with a heavy duty cleaner like TSP and rinse thoroughly. Allow the surface to dry and apply one coat of something like Sherwin-Williams PrepRite Bonding Primer. Behr makes their own version of this too. After the primer has thoroughly dried apply the Behr Exterior paint...they also make a masonary paint that will work well.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Thanks for the information. Is Behr latex paint ok or should I use oil based Behr?

Mike

Reply to
Mike