Modifying a transfer switch

I am finally going to install a transfer switch; an Emergen 6-5000. It has a recessed plug in the face.

I want to remove the plug and cover it with a piece of sheet metal. I will then cut a hole (preferably in the top of the box, but in the new sheet metal if necessary) for a cable clamp and hardwire a cable to the switch. Then run the cable the length of the house to a plug where I run my generator. (In the garage with doors propped open at the front and back )

Is there any hideous flaw in this scheme that I am overlooking? Thanks

Reply to
toller

Why hack into a prewired box, you loose your warranty for 1 and maybe more. I agree the socket is crappy but there are other options.

For 200 you can get a 6 circuit 2 wattmeters prewired box with exterior box , with sockets, and plugs and 10f of cable for your gen. It was a 4 hr install. They even give these away free on ocasion at Lowes if you buy a generac.

Reply to
m Ransley

Yes, hardwiring a long flexible cord onto a permanently installed box in the garage is kinda Rube-Goldberg.

It would be a better and neater install to:

Disconnect the recesses plug inside the transfer box and just ignor it but leave it there to retain your warranty.

Obtain a surface-mount recessed male connector port and mount it properly within 6' of the location of your genset.

Connect the new plug to the transfer switch box with either properly installed cable (hiddin within the walls) or conduit.(exposed on the walls)

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Because:

1) I already bought the transfer switch for $100 2) My gnerator is about 75' from the switch, and the 10f cable won't stretch that far
Reply to
toller

Is this a manual transfer switch, or automatic? If it's manual, why not make a 70' extension cord that matches the recessed plug and the twistlock (or whatever) socket on the generator? Roll it out when you need it. You gotta go out there with a flashlight and start the generator anyway.

I probably wouldn't even use a proper heavy-duty flexable cord (STJO?); I'd use UF or SE cable cuz it's cheaper and it won't be used all that often. (If I used NM-B or triplex or quadplex I wouldn't admit it here)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Would seem a lot simpler to move the generator closer to the entrance panel and use the equipment as designed. They make good weatherproof covers for generators.

Reply to
Curmudgeon
70ft , that 10ga isnt enough, maybe 8 or 6, have fun.
Reply to
m Ransley