removing latex paint from rubber weather stripping (2023 Update)

I painted my garage doors and the paint did not cure properly. I shut the door and the garage door latex paint now sticks like crazy to the rubber weather stripping. So every time I open the garage door, there is a loud ripping sound as the garage door rips away from the rubber weather stripping every time I open it. Is there anything I can used to remove the latex paint from the rubber weather stripping ? I was thinking of just replacing the weather stripping and that's it, but I would like to fix it first if I can. thanks.

Reply to
car crash

It would be simpler to replace the weatherstripping. Rubber material has pores that the latex paint can enter (easily if its solvent causes the weatherstrip material to soften on contact). You may never get the paint out without ruining the weatherstrip function.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I'd try spraying some silicone on the strip first and see if that solves the problem. Easier than replacing the strip or cleaning it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had the same problem with one of my garage doors. I took a video of the way it was sticking every time it opened and I went to my local garage door store and they told me they have a tube of wax, similar to a very large Chapstick, that you can run over that paint, and it will prevent the door from sticking. It cost me $10 and I bought it and used it and it works. It’s called ‘Slick It’ garage door lubricant. I’m sure it will need to be replaced occasionally but boy what a big difference it made.

Reply to
Hobogirl