Fixing latex paint drips

My kid just called from college saying his roommate painted his window frames with Sherwin-Williams gloss latex, and 8 hours later, there are pretty large areas where the paint ran and forms drips (more like globs). It's at the thick goo stage right now. Should they let it dry until it hardens (if ever), and then razor blade it off & repaint the bad spots, or what? I've never had this problem, so I don't know what to tell them.

I told them to use real paint, but they don't listen.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Cut it cleanly w/ a razor blade if can w/o smearing it too badly. Otherwise, just wait a little longer and it will dry and can be cleaned up then before it is terribly hard. A little scuff-sanding and all will be well.

I sincerely doubt it was the paint; undoubtedly inexperienced painter.

--

Reply to
dpb

Probably some of both. If you've never compared Sherwin-Williams with brands like Devoe or Martin-Senour, you owe it to yourself to do so. The difference is quite remarkable.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've used virtually every brand of paint known to man (at least in the US) and frankly as far as application for equivalent price-point paints of same type there's little to choose...you dab it on thick or drag a brush over a hard edge and it's going to drip which what I'll bet happened here.

--

Reply to
dpb

Considering that they are college students, I'd say the less they do, the better. Let the paint cure, at least two weeks. Next time dad visits the dorm (you do, don't you?), take along a razor scraper and trim the drips. Don't want sharp objects in the hands of children :o) Gloss latex? What color?

Only other alternative would be to try to remove all of the paint, not a chore for children of any age :o)

Reply to
norminn

The window trim is probably chilly, too. That couldn't have helped. They could've done this in September when it was warmer, but noooooo. They were busy playing foosball.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They did use real paint, they just dont know how to use it.

Reply to
ransley

Sherwin Williams? You don't mean Sears, do you? I used SW only once, exterior alkyd semi for trim. It was beautiful - the quality is apparent when it is applied and long after. The difference between cheap and good paint, even during application, is remarkable. Brushes out beautifully, levels....just very good stuff.

Reply to
norminn

I haven't handled the particular paint they're using. But they had it shaken at the SW store, took it straight home and used it. They said it was about as thick as canned gravy that had been warmed up. Devoe & Martin-Senour are about 3 times thicker. You can practically ASK the paint to apply itself and it will obey. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but it's not much of one. If you haven't used either of those two brands, you really don't know what you're missing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Did they? Still fluid after eight hours?

Reply to
HeyBub

S-W latex IS real paint.

Reply to
clare

When applied too thick it will remain fluid for a LONG time. Think about how long it lasts in the can. Only CATALYZED paint will harden quickly when applied too thick, or when allowed to drip.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Roemax

It happens with any paint, if you put three coats on at once.

Reply to
Oren

Same here. I've painted with it any a time and it's quite decent. If they have 'runs' they had to use too much on the brush.

Amusing to me story. Room mate of mine many years ago tried to paint a window frame. It had runs on it (old dried ones) so she tried to use too much paint to fill them in! Yup, worse runs.

Reply to
cshenk

Unless he finds out his wife used a perfectly good paint brush.

"Sum Beach"!

Reply to
Oren

Sherwin Williams also makes Dutch Boy paint. Does that mean that Dutch Boy is as good as Sherwin Williams, which is as good as Martin Senour?

The same parent company (whose name I forget) makes Milwaukee, Ridgid and Ryobi power tools. So a Ryobi drill is as good as a Milwaukee?

Perce

Roemax wrote:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

And possibly Black & Decker - at least I've seen B+D bench drills using the same basic frame as Ryobi ones, with just a few minor detail changes.

Seems like it's getting harder and harder to shop around for a good product these days because so many of them are sharing components (car makers seem to have been good at this one for years) - which is all well and good when they're *good* components...

Reply to
Jules

That's because they are all made off-shore in Chinese"cottage" factories. Doesn't matter who owns the name, who imports them, or what name is on them.

They are very seldom even "designed" by the brand holder - much-less built by them.

Different colour resin in the molds makes a different product case. One brand might get better wire connecting the brushes, or perhaps a better switch, if they are willing to pay a bit more than the other brand - but then again, mabee not.

Reply to
clare

I didn't know SW made Martin-Senour, but why does that matter? They're still two very different products.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom