help quick..please

I screwed up and ran over one of the end caps of my sand mounted septic system.

image -

as you can see I ran over a little more then just the end cap. The end cap in the picture is a new one from another purchase.

what to do now ?

Theres another kind of cap underneath that but it doesnt seem to want to twist off. Is it twistable ? If not, how far down do I have to dig to remove the whole pipe ?

any info is very much appreciated.

john

Reply to
john

just hacksaw the pipe off, put on a new female adaptor, screw on your new cap, and drink beer. done.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Is the "underneath" cap reachable from the surface, if so, cut the main outside pipe just below the (into the ground) second cap and splice a new pipe and endcap onto the in-the-ground remaining pipe. Just be sure to clean the pipes and use a lot of pipe cement . Looks like a simple repair.

Reply to
hrhofmann

yea I can dig under it no problem.

pipe cement ey.. I didnt know they had that for PVC piping. Recommend a certain kind ?

I guess it would be too much of a hassle to dig down to completely remove the pipe ? I dug about 2 feet down and didnt see any connector.. so I guess I do have to hack it.

I didnt think cutting it off would be the main choice.

I appreciate the help.

Reply to
john

Just ask for it where you buy the short piece of pipe. pipe coupling and endcap.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

It is.

PVC cement and primer are easily available. Just cut it off past any cracks. Clean it, prime it, and glue it.

Bob F

pipe cement ey.. I didnt know they had that for PVC piping. Recommend a certain kind ?

SM: Oatley brand, from Lowes or Home Depot. Get the smallest can. It comes with a brush under the lid. Be generous. Cut the pipe off. Hacksaw or sawzall. Scrape the ends, to get the rough edge off. Smear the glue on the pipe, and on the cleanout female adaptor. Push the female adaptor on, fast, and push hard. The glue sets in a couple seconds. FAST is essential.

I guess it would be too much of a hassle to dig down to completely remove the pipe ? I dug about 2 feet down and didnt see any connector.. so I guess I do have to hack it.

I didnt think cutting it off would be the main choice.

SM: That's PVC, when it doubt, cut it out.

I appreciate the help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why can't you just use one of those Fernco 2" rubber plugs, you can clamp it around the hub thats still there? Like these:

Mike rock

Guys I just did the repair today.

I cut just underneath as recommended. I sanded / filed down the edges some.

Glued on the female adapter to the pipe using the PVC pipe cement. But the female adapter didnt have a groove for the pipe to go in. Both ends were flat and lined up against each other. So I glued it on like that.

After doing that, I felt like the female adapter should of had a groove in which the pipe could slip into. But it didnt. Was it suppose to ?

I feel like this thing is going to blow right off as soon as I use the water...

Its only 42 degrees out here right now...so I guess i'll need more than the normal 2 hours for it to dry / bond.

Reply to
john

"john" wrote

Sorry, I havent been following this one.

Umm, my under sink has screw on PVC. It has a sort of cap thing that screws to both ends so you can up t clear the trap then close back up. It uses no glue at all. Doesnt leak either.

Reply to
cshenk

If you look at the image on the initial post, you'd see my issue is completely different. I dont have the option to screw on anything. I had to hack the pipe.

im just asking if it was suppose to snap into a groove of any sorts ? The female adapter had pipe sticking out from it as well.

Reply to
john

"john" wrote

Sorry John, but I don't even know the title of your intial post to go take to one of the search engines and spend 30 mins or so trying to find it. Frankly, I don't have the time either but am willing to try to help. Plumming is *not* my expertise area though.

Mine don't have any male/female adaptors with grooves other than 'screw on' sorts.

Reply to
cshenk