Will spray paint last longer on Garage door, then brush?

I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available. So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important to me. Any ideas? thanks.

Reply to
lbbss

Hi, First prep. is most important and best quality paint. I'd use brush and roller, Spray? Weather has to be absolutely calm.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Depends entirely on the paint and prep work. Spray definitely looks better if properly done.

Reply to
clare

Best to do it in a paint booth with an automotive type paint for long life and high gloss. Urethane would likely be best.

Reply to
clare

If it's metal or fiberglass, a sprayed finish, especially catalyzed automotive urethane, epoxy, or enamel, should hold up much longer, provided the preparation is done very well (thorough degreasing, sanding and scuffing, "liquid sandpaper" applied to areas that can't be reached, followed by more cleaning). I'd probably have only the exterior painted.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

Is this a metal door? If so, have your friend spray it. It will look a LOT better. Painting with a brush on wood is more forgiving, because brush marks could also be "grain". On metal you want smooth. You'll notice that cars rarely get painted with a brush.

On a metal door, you can also use automotive type finishes rather than house paint, which will last a lot longer. For that matter you could use something like rustoleum, and it will last lfar onger than house paint.

Reply to
salty

automotive paint, yes. rustoleum, no. rustoleum is real soft. plain old Krylon out of a spray can is probably more durable over unrusted metal...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yes, and if you choose to do this, it is probably much easier to do so before the door is installed rather than after.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What you use to apply paint has little to do with durability of the application. Preparation, preparation, preparation. Clean, free of rust, dust, oil. Quality paint used per label directions.

FWIW, I had an old junker of a garage door, very rusty, in a rental home I lived in. Brushed and sanded off the rust, used Rustoleum rusty metal primer and plain old house paint (oil/alkyd). Lasted for years. Spraying usually requires thinning a bit (READ the LABEL) and can give a nice smooth coat. Foam rollers are a bit fussy but just about as smooth and probably thinner coat.

Reply to
norminn

You ask if a roller will give you a finish similar to spraying, do your interior home walls look sprayed! What will last longer, its more about prep, proper painting and using the right product thats important, auto paint is made for steel that doesnt flex like doors do. Go to a real paint store and use what they recommend, like Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams, they probably sell they paint to the manufacturers anyway that make doors and will direct you right, forget about HD type stores. Ive sprayed a few but every job is different.

Reply to
ransley

Whether it's applied with a brush or sprayed has everything to do with how it looks and how long it takes, but very little to do with how long it lasts. How long it lasts depends on the paint used and the prep work. In this case, since the door is new, the prep isn't a factor.

I would have to disagree that auto paint can't be used. Auto paint is routinely applied to surfaces that flex and in many cases flex more than a garage door wood. Plastic body parts, like modern bumpers being one good example.

Reply to
trader4

Spray and then brush? Why do it both ways?

Reply to
1D10T

Dab the paint on with your ass!

Reply to