How to paint a garage door

I have a garage door that has sections. I would like to paint it but don't know how to get in between the sections to paint it. The finish looks like some shiny finish that probably was factory finish at one time. Any ideas on how to start this project?

Reply to
new england gal

I'm not sure you need to get between the sections, espcially if your not changing the color, as that area is not exposed to the elements, nor is it seen. If it were me, I'd probably just leave it alone.

Also, if you have an electric opener, make sure you disconnect it before painting it. When the door is dry, work it open by hand. The paint that does get between and around the door can be enough to make it stick after painting. I had a pro painter do mine and he never did anything special. When I pushed the buttom to open the door, not even thinking about it, the door opener track caved in, dropping about 2 feet, creating a mini disaster. Fortunately, I stopped it in time and was able to straighten in out.

Reply to
trader4

First off you need to determine if it is wood, metal or fiberglass. Painting and finishing techniques are similar but the kind of paint you use may vary. Most likely will involve a combination of sanding, priming and painting. Sprayer is fastest but a roller will work out fine (unless you want a very high gloss).

Use the same sheen (semi gloss or glossy) as the rest of the trim on your house.

As for getting in between the sections, just open the door part way.

Reply to
PipeDown

There was obviously something wrong with the opener, A stuck door should not cause it to fall of the cieling. It should either reverse or stop.

Reply to
PipeDown

One additional suggestion - get the best grade of paint that your preferred paint manufacturer makes. I had a professional paint my garage door 4 years ago. He used the cheapest paint he could get at Porter's. To this day, the paint is still gummy between the sections and the door sticks a bit when it is opened the first time for the day.

Jean

Reply to
Jean

Jean, take a bar of ordinary bath soap and lightly rub it between the door sections. The soap will counter the paint's residual tack. I use this trick on window sashes, and it works great.

Reply to
Boward

When I painted my garage door, I left the area between the panels unpainted. I had extra paint left over and decided to paint the inside of the garage door (white) which brightened up the garage interior.

Garage door mechanic tip: Before you paint, tighten up all the hex nuts using a socket wrench--you will find that some are loose!

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for the tip. I've been doing something like that -I smear petroleum jelly between the sections. The annoying thing is that I have to periodically regrease the areas.

Jean

Reply to
Jean