Hammerite garage door paint

My better half painted the wrought iron gates with the above paint.

She followed the instructions on the tin and got up early too avoid the high temperatures we have experienced in the heat wave and erected a sun shield to avoid the sun's rays hitting the drying paint.

The following day she put on the second coat using the same precautions.

Now the finished result looks like orange peel.

Where did she go wrong?

During the last couple of months she has painted:-

My Transit van The external woodwork at the office The wrought iron at the office (using Hammerite smooth) The external woodwork at my house and the external woodwork at her house

All her results were of a professional standard - she used Dulux or Crown paints in the main.

YorkieDave

Reply to
David Kent

errr...Troll? Isn't the 'hammered' finish of Hammerite quite like orange peel? Or am I missing something?

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

With Hammerite you are supposed to re-coat within three hours of application or wait six weeks for curing to take effect before re-coating otherwise you'll get wrinkling possibly orange peel.

As with most paints painting is best done at room temperature somewhere around 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit for best results.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Thanks for the input Steve but the Hammerite Garage Door paint is like a high quality gloss paint, it specified at least 16 hours between coats.

We have used Hammerite Smooth black paint for the wrought iron at the office and applied the second coat within the short time period.

I think you may be right suggesting that temperature may be the problem as the instructions state a working range between 5 and 25 degrees centigrade

YorkieDave

Reply to
David Kent

Yes a brain

I am not trolling - not all Hammerite has the Hammered finish.

As I mentioned it was Hammerite Garage Door Paint - supposedly a high quality gloss paint - how many people do you know that want a hammered finish on their garage door?

Hammerite Garage Door paint was used because it offered the colour she wanted for the wrought iron, and she did not need the facility to paint over rust as there was none. The time required between coats was at least 16 hours and 2 coats were recommended when changing colour.

YorkieDave

Reply to
David Kent