"Trade paint"

what does trade paint mean ?....better than consumer paint or what? ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It's another invention from the marketing department.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

sometimes it is of quality suitable for professional use. Sometimes it's just a marketing word & means nothing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think it depends on the standing of the manufacturer. Sandtex Trade, good gear; Homebase Trade, El crappo s**te.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Richard

going back to ICI Dulux gloss paint days Trade paint was thinner, runnier however you want to describe it

DIY people wanted a non drip paint, paint trade wanted paint the flowed nicely

-
Reply to
Mark

Always buy Emulsion paint from the Trade Counter of the Maker or a Decorating supplier. Even the stuff branded as 'Trade' in B+Q is not the same as the stuff you buy from their own Outlets. Gloss and other top coats are not as different, but again, if you buy from a proper decorating outlet, you will know it is fresh paint, and will be of good quality. Dont be fooled by the cheap prices at B+Q et al for paints. 'Trade' paint is not usually cheaper, I currently pay around £40 for 5 litres of trade coloured emulsion, it is roughly £20 in B+Q for 'coloured' emulsion. Both are branded Dulux, but the B+Q one will be runny, and take more coats, the Trade version from their Decorating Centre will be far thicker, and cover better. My daughter got 3x 5 litre tins of standard B+Q Dulux magnolia when she moved into her flat as a free gift as it hadnt been painted before she moved in. I tried to use it, but it soon all went down the drain, it was rubbish, watery stuff, that made painting a wall a really hard job. With the trade paint, I can paint a wall without using dust/splash sheets, as it just doesnt drip.

Reply to
Alan

Precisely my experience also.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It has been my experience that it is just paint of a certain colour, no we cannot make a custom colour its trade paint, you get what you get, oh and in order to get a decent discount you need an account and to buy a lot at once. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Most types of Johnstone's trade emulsion, satin and gloss paints are available in 16,000 colours. And they offer colour matching at decorating centres which, in the case if my local one, is definitely trade: bugger all on display, big orders going off in the vans, and scruffy blokes paying at the counter in cash.

Reply to
Robin

So scruffy blokes paying cash are tradesmen, then? Thanks for clearing that up!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Trade paint runs down your arm when you paint a ceiling, consumer paint doesn't . Or is it the other way round ?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Ah so my first guess was right. Trade paint does run down your arm.

Reply to
Brian Howie

Trade paint is much less forgiving and designed to be used by someone who can control a paintbrush quickly and accurately. You can still get all variants from a Dulux decorator centre if you want them.

Amateurs tend to prefer non-drip gel (a misnomer if ever there was one).

Professional decorators prefer a paint that allows them to finish the job as quickly as possible and obtain a very good finish.

ISTR ICI paints used to teach its employees how to paint a front door as a part of their induction procedure (it is not that easy to get right).

Reply to
Martin Brown

yes. sometimes Dulux trade paint is oil based and diy paint is water.

TW

Reply to
TimW