Paint for Tyrolean

I need to paint a tyrolean rendered house (mine!). What sort of paint would be best, and would smooth or textured be better ?

Dulux Trade Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Paint for example.

Thanks!

Se=E1n

Reply to
DrLargePants

That's what I used on my extension (brand new render so watered down the first coat)....

Reply to
cupra

I used Sandtex Ultra Smooth Masonry paint and would highly recommend it, not only with initial application but the final finish. It's only been on a year so cannot comment on durability (although needless to say it looks as good as new).

Mathew Newton

Would smooth or textured be better though, keeping in mind that Tyrolean is allready bumpy and there is a section where ivy (not my doing) has been ?

Reply to
DrLargePants

I just used sandtex something or other. It was a bitch to get on. We watered it down so it ran into the holes, and did three coats - a lot of with with brushes. The rollers tended to leave the valleys unfilled.

Looks OK now. If you can spray paint it helps..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think it matters less than a fart in a hurricane frankly.

The texture is what it is.

Pick whatever will go in a spray gun, if you can.

I THINK mine was smooth, but I wouldn't swear to it. The main house is rendered with sharp sand anyway, so it came out 'textured' The Tyrolean bit came out 'very textured - and interestingly - looks a slightly different colour.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The textured stuff tends to provide much less coverage (area wise) and is arguably unnecessary for tyrolean.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I'll try a smooth tester on it and see if that hides the remains of the ivy.

I've burnt and wire brushed off the tendrils, but I'm keen to not be able to see the outline of it all when its painted!

Reply to
DrLargePants

Pretty sure we just painted over..had a lot of climbers up it, and lichen ..

Could try a bleach wash.

Pressure washing ISTR works well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tried painting over it with a Sandtex tester and you can't see any trace of the ivy, so we're good to go I think!

Reply to
DrLargePants