oil based masonry paint

The contractor that is giving me an estimate for painting the exterio
of my house has mentioned Dulux Weathershield All Seasons Masonry Pain as the preferred type of paint to use.
He says that being oil based is more washable and still lets th masonry breathe.
I only knew of the Dulux Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint which i water based.
I have been looking at the Dulux UK trade website and the oil base masonry paint does not seem to have any downside.
Is this newer type of paint the one to go for?
Also, I read that it is shower resistance in 15 minutes, however, it i better to wait until the spring to paint? The contractor mentions it i not an issue
-- asalcedo
asalcedo wrote:

Check out pliolite based paints from Johnstones, Leyland, and others (everybody *except* Dulux it seems!)
asalcedo snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com typed:

"Shudders"
as someone else has said you really should consider Leyland Truguard Pliolite http://www.leyland-paints.co.uk/site/ourProducts.asp?range  its made by SigmaKalon, ive used it extensively on more then one house and its coverage and durability is in a Totally different league to Dulux Weathershield.
-
Mark Wrote:

Hi Mark & Stuart,
I will certainly check it out.
I was under the impression that Dulux, is, most of the times, the bran that offers the best quality paint. Is that true and this Leylan Truguard is an exception or are there other brands as good
-- asalcedo
asalcedo wrote:

No, they sell fluffy dogs
asalcedo snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com typed:

Well this was possibly true some years ago but things move on, Dulex is a heavily advertised brand name IMHO trading on past performance at an inflated price. Incidentally tesco and my supplier were selling Weathershield at 4.99 for 5lt last year (I didn't buy any even at that price) wonder if your contractor stocked up at that price. I recommend Truguard because I have tried it in direct comparison with Weathershield the difference in durability was apparent after only 6 months, 3 years on and the Weathershield looked so grubby I had to repaint over it with the Truguard. I've also used Permoglaze http://www.permoglaze.co.uk/product4.htm which if you are worried about a Brand name is made by Akzo Noble (Crown) but again IMHO Leyland is superior and at a lower price. HTH
-
Mark Wrote:

I think I may have fallen for the advertising... I did a substantia renovation of the woodwork paint outdoors and went for Dulu Weathershield. Seven months on, it is already lacking a bit.
I value your experience and will try to use Truguard
-- asalcedo