Keeping paint brushes soft between coats

What's the best way to keep paint brushes from going hard between coats, using oil-based paint? I don't want to wash them out in turps sub every time I use them. ATM I'm wrapping them in a poly-bag, but that's not particularly effective.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I wrap mine in cling film, works for me.

Reply to
Broadback

Put them in a jar of water.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Chris Hogg formulated the question :

I leave them in a jam jar of water, if its just going to be a few hours. I shake the water out, then paint something very absorbent, like corrugated card board to dry them off, before I carry on painting.

In fact I painted all of my wrought iron gates last weekend with outdoor metal paint, taking the gates down to paint them, doing one side at a time, drying before turning over to do the other side. So I had to store the brushes between sides. Jam jar worked absolutely fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

another option is a bag with several drops of white spirit

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wash out the bulk of the paint and pop them in an old glass sweet jar, the big ones that used to be seen in old-fashioned sweet shops years ago.

In the bottom is about half an inch of white spirit and a pad of kitchen wipes over the top keeps the fumes in and the brushes pristine.

Any suitable glass container will do. Spagetti jar?.

Reply to
Andrew

Wrapping in cling film is probably your best bet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for the replies. I'll try cling film to start with as that's probably the simplest, and move on from there if needs be, although I don't qite understand why cling film should work where a poly bag doesn't. Perhaps the poly is permeable and cling film isn't.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Me too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Cling film excludes more air by being a much tighter fit...

Reply to
John Rumm

I wrap mine tightly - then put them in the freezer. The lower temperature reduces the drying rate.

Obviously you want them pretty well wrapped so the food doesn't all taste of paint!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Cling film and a wet rag.

I am told an out of date condom is good but I have never tried it. I never seem to have any lying around unused for long.

Tim W

Reply to
TimW

Except its only good for a short period so if one forgets about them they become rock hard. On the other hand if the paint is water based I just wash them clean

Reply to
billyorange007