Paint brushes

I've got all the indoor doors to gloss paint and the brush I've started wit is beyond cr@p. It holds very little paint and is developing severe alopecia. Progress is slow and messy.

Can anyone recommend a decent brand or source of a brush that will help me do a better and faster job?

Harris

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Thanks. Any particular version: there's quite a choice.

I've found the red ones from Wilko are OK

Reply to
Murmansk

Use a roller to apply the pain, then just brush it out with the brush.

Reply to
GB

pain? Freudian slip.

Reply to
GB

And painting is a pain!

Chris Hogg

There is one bit of good news: alopecia can be mostly cured by not cleaning the bristles near the top. Let the gloss get in there & set.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Chris Hogg has brought this to us :

I don't know if some of mine are typical, or maybe copies, but I have some very poor quality Harris brushes.

I also have some really good brushes with red handles bought from Wilko (own brand).

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Thanks, both of you. I've never used a roller for gloss but am picking one up this morning.

One of those mini rollers.

Reply to
GB

I've picked up a couple of Harris brushes so will see how they work out. Fingers crossed! Unfortunately, we don't have a Wilko nearby.

What's the benefit of using a roller for applying the gloss?

Reply to
nothanks

I've found that you have to be prepared and work fast especially with water based paints on a very hot day. If you are too slow the paint can start drying/filming before you have chance to rework it. Mini rollers on their own can leave an orange peel type finish - which may not look that bad for some applications where it can hide some minor infections in what you are painting.

You also need a good quality soft natural bristle brush for a good finish. I've found that brushes with synthetic fibres tend to leave much more obvious brush marks.

Synthetic fibre brushes also tend to differ vastly in quality and IMO price doesn't always reflect quality. Some of the better synthetic fibre brushes in my collection have been from pound type shops with molded plastic ferrules that don't rust nor shed bristles and hold a decent amount of paint.

Always wash a new brush and/or dry paint some brick work to see if the brush is going to drop bristles. Removing bristles from what you are painting can be a PITA and slow you down.

If using a water based paint on a roller placing it in a plastic bag and tying up the opening of the bag (plastic food bags with plastic zips are good for this) allows you to continue using the roller for 12/24hours without having to clean it.

Painting outside this time of year with white paint may attract flying insects such as greenfly. Don't try and remove them when the paint is still wet! You may still achieve an acceptable finish if you let the paint fully dry and then wipe off the insects with a damp cloth.

Reply to
alan_m

Camel Hair or synthetic though? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Not easy on some of the ornamental beading though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mini rollers are cheap, come with the tray and rollers for gloss or emulsion. I have had excellent results and have only used a brush for the awkward bits.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Less paint is used, no runs, faster, no bristles left in the paint and a nice flat finish.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire