Paint brushes

I've got all the indoor doors to gloss paint and the brush I've started wit is beyond cr@p. It holds very little paint and is developing severe alopecia. Progress is slow and messy.
Can anyone recommend a decent brand or source of a brush that will help me do a better and faster job?

Harris
--

Chris

On 19/06/2018 17:47, Chris Hogg wrote:

Thanks. Any particular version: there's quite a choice.

On 19/06/2018 18:32, F wrote:

Use a roller to apply the pain, then just brush it out with the brush.
On 19/06/2018 18:53, GB wrote:

pain? Freudian slip.
On 19/06/2018 18:53, GB wrote:

And painting is a pain!

It holds very little paint and is developing severe

Whips work a lot better.

Brush what out, the blood and gore ?
Actually I was going to say a riding crop but somebody beat me to it. maniacal laughter at the terrible puns in this thread. Brian
--
----- --
GB wrote:

+1
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 20/06/2018 08:17, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Thanks, both of you. I've never used a roller for gloss but am picking one up this morning.

On 20/06/2018 09:25, F wrote:

One of those mini rollers.
On 20/06/2018 09:26, GB wrote:

I've found that you have to be prepared and work fast especially with water based paints on a very hot day. If you are too slow the paint can start drying/filming before you have chance to rework it. Mini rollers on their own can leave an orange peel type finish - which may not look that bad for some applications where it can hide some minor infections in what you are painting.
You also need a good quality soft natural bristle brush for a good finish. I've found that brushes with synthetic fibres tend to leave much more obvious brush marks.
Synthetic fibre brushes also tend to differ vastly in quality and IMO price doesn't always reflect quality. Some of the better synthetic fibre brushes in my collection have been from pound type shops with molded plastic ferrules that don't rust nor shed bristles and hold a decent amount of paint.
Always wash a new brush and/or dry paint some brick work to see if the brush is going to drop bristles. Removing bristles from what you are painting can be a PITA and slow you down.
If using a water based paint on a roller placing it in a plastic bag and tying up the opening of the bag (plastic food bags with plastic zips are good for this) allows you to continue using the roller for 12/24hours without having to clean it.
Painting outside this time of year with white paint may attract flying insects such as greenfly. Don't try and remove them when the paint is still wet! You may still achieve an acceptable finish if you let the paint fully dry and then wipe off the insects with a damp cloth.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 10:07:11 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

good tips. I've been caught out once by overnight bagging a roller - turned out it was card cored not plastic - the result was a soggy heap next day.
NT
F wrote:

Mini rollers are cheap, come with the tray and rollers for gloss or emulsion. I have had excellent results and have only used a brush for the awkward bits.
On 20/06/2018 16:06, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I used the 4" mini roller to roll the paint on and then a brush to brush it out and to get into the recesses in the panelled doors.
Much faster and a thinner, but more than adequate, coat of paint.

On 20/06/2018 08:17, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I just use a roller, and only use a paint brush for fiddly bits.
OP hasn't told us if the paint is water-based or solvent based, which needs different types of brush.
Oil paint needs a good bristle brush, which are not good for water-based paints and vice-versa.
On 21/06/2018 16:17, Andrew wrote:

Solvent.

On 19/06/2018 18:53, GB wrote:

What's the benefit of using a roller for applying the gloss?
snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

Less paint is used, no runs, faster, no bristles left in the paint and a nice flat finish.
On 20/06/2018 16:11, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

As I have discovered.