Paint Brushes

Hi all. I want to buy some first rate brushes but don't know what to look for.

My personal criteria being.....Improving my chances of obtaining a first class finish.

Most of these new synthetic brushes stress the amount of paint they can hold but is that the be all and end all?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

IME it's worth buying top quality bristle for small brushes (cutting in etc)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The best paint brushes I have ever purchased are from Purdy:

Were recommended by a pro decorator acquaintance of mine.

AFAIK not available in the Sheds. In the South you can obtain from

are expensive but I will never purchase any other brand again. (probably won't need to because they seem to last forever).

David

Reply to
Vortex3

I've seen some of these on ebay.

Arthur2

You might want to read the info on Stephen Hull's vehicle coach painting site.

you need to achieve in terms of DIY paint finish quality probably pales into insignificance compared to what he needs to achieve on a brush painted vehicle. He has good info on materials, brushes and also technique He recommends Hamilton brushes in the UK and Purdy if you live in the USA.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I bought a Hamilton brush in the early '70's to hand paint a car (Johnson's Repaint was the product sold for this). I did a good job and still use the brush.

Reply to
John

The professionals over on the Screwfix Painters Forum

seem to recommend The Purdys, with Hamilton as the (not very close) runner up. I think there are different types of Purdy, so maybe worth a browse around that forum.

Reply to
davidm_uk

Hamilton's - they give a damn good finish, once 'broken in' will cut in on glazing beads etc like a dream - and if properly looked after, will last the life time of a D-i-Yer.

Oh I forgot, don't forget to take out the proverbial mortgage of you want to buy a set - they are seriously expensive! LOL

Cash

Reply to
Cash

For good quality lasting brushes - Hamilton Perfection. Around £20 for 5 brushes.

Otherwise, if you dont want the trouble of cleaning them, I use Harris 'No Loss' brushes. From my local Hardware shop, £13 for 10 assorted sizes.

Excellent brushes IMO. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Another factor in getting a good DIY finish is the paint that you use. I've found that liquid gloss paints give a smoother surface than gel paints.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

May be worth having a look here:

I am not in a position to judge - perhaps others have views? (I have not bought brushes from them.) Anyway, in the Windsors they claim to be providing another alternative to Hamilton.

Reply to
Rod