Purdy Paint Brushes

I just left the Purdy website. I have more questions about paint brushes then before I visited the site.

I'm looking for the best brushes for interior latex paint. I need brushes to paint trim with Behr latex paints. Might as well get the best brushes for oil based too.

Please recommend which model brush to buy. I bought some "all paints" Purdy brushes from Home Depot, but I'm willing to spend the money to get the better brushes if they'll make a difference in the appearance of the finished job..

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike

for latex use a purdy "nylox"

Reply to
fsteddie

For oil, natural bristle.

For latex, nylon bristle. ______________

Believe me, you won't get a good looking job with latex paint. It is fine for walls, not for trim - doesn't flow/self level well. Additionally, trying to sand it between coats or to redo is like trying to sand an eraser.

If you want a good looking job...

  1. Prime with oil primer

  1. Sand smooth. *Really* smooth. Totally and absolutely smooth. Tough to do because most primers don't sand well. Wet sanding with silicon carbide wet or dry paper (use wet) helps.

  2. Topcoat with oil paint in your preferred sheen. Flow it on like varnish in an even coat but not so thick it runs. Tip off until it begins to drag. Keep a wet edge.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

"Mike" wrote

I'm not sure about the brushes, but yew shurr got a Purdy mouth..........

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Thanks, I should have stated that I'm going to use Behr latex for the trim. Next room I might try oil base and follow your instructions.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Raid

Using Purdy brushes with latex paint is like matching up Brad Pitt with an ugly broad. Doesn't compute.

Aside from my laughable analogy - why in the world would you buy an expensive brush and use garbage paint with it? Behr paint is terrible.

I highly recommend you use either of the two brands I use (Benjamin Moore or Lowe's American Tradition), or one of the other higher-quality brands out there. Unless Behr has changed radically over the past few years, they were and still are the worst paint to use.

Reply to
mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom)

Last time I looked (last year) Behr paints got top ratings from Comsumers Union.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yeah, Behr went from "worst to first" in the CR ratings last year. I thought the miraculous improvement in only a year or two was rather curious. I used Behr and didn't like it, didn't "flow" real well. But that was a couple/three years ago when they were rated poorly. I agree with Mark - American Tradition and Benjamin Moore are great paints.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

At this point, I'm committed to BEHR, i.e., painted the walls w/ behr latex and using behr latex primer. Will try american tradition and benjamin moore in other rooms.

Mike

Reply to
Mike