Paint brushes

helps it to splatter everywhere in tiny drops that you don't notice until it's set like rock.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

good tips. I've been caught out once by overnight bagging a roller - turned out it was card cored not plastic - the result was a soggy heap next day.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dust sheets. It really is not that difficult.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I got some Harris Trade Fine Tip brushes from the local Screwfix. Excellent and a revelation. Thank you.

A pity you didn't tell me that a few decades ago!

I got a 4" 'No-nonsense' mini roller and tray along with a pack of spare foam sleeves from Screwfix. I'm not cleaning the used sleeve: it's gone in the bin. At 50p each I can't be bothered.

Much easier and much faster. Even if applying gloss paint with a foam roller is counter-intuitive.

Thanks for the life-changing suggestion: appreciated!

I used the 4" mini roller to roll the paint on and then a brush to brush it out and to get into the recesses in the panelled doors.

Much faster and a thinner, but more than adequate, coat of paint.

As I have discovered.

Dust sheeting absolutely everything including the walls when you do a ceiling is a right pain. I prefer a brush.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In my (recent) experience painting high ceilings in a stairwell it didn't matter if I was using a brush for cutting in or a roller for the large area to how much paint ended up on the floor. I got a few drips from the edge of the roller and a few from a slightly overloaded brush when working at awkward angle at the top of a ladder.

Reply to
alan_m

I also recommend getting a decent sturdy pole for the roller. In the past I have had "cheap and nasty" poles to hold the roller for painting walls/ceilings which have flexed and didn't hold the roller to well. For my last bout of ceiling painting I invested in a much better pole with a

6 sided metal inner where the extension firmly locked in set positions. It made a big difference to the ease of painting and because of the better control of the roller possibly less paint splatter/drips.
Reply to
alan_m

I just use a roller, and only use a paint brush for fiddly bits.

OP hasn't told us if the paint is water-based or solvent based, which needs different types of brush.

Oil paint needs a good bristle brush, which are not good for water-based paints and vice-versa.

Reply to
Andrew

Solvent.