Where to store Chemicals: Garage or Garage Attic? Fumes travel down?

We have a garage and lots of good storage in the Garage attic. The Garage is mostly insulated, there is a bit of air leak at the garage door seal and the ceiling is mostly insulated. In the garage attic there is no insulation on the roof side. As just moved in, I am not sure if it gets cold enough to freeze in the attic. I am trying to avoid having fumes from chemicals in the garage, especially since the garage is attached to the house. We don't keep any chemicals in the house, just non toxic type of cleaners. We don't have any outside shed, but I was wondering about storing them in the garage attic. Would the fumes move back down to the garage? Or I assume that it all depends on the type of chemicals. I am hoping that fumes mostly travel up and would escape through t Is there any webs sites out there that would explain some of these issues? I would think gallons of paint are safe if they are closed properly. I would also assume oil is fairly safe. But I have other types of chemicals that I am concerned about like, verso & paint thinner, aerosol spray cans, gasoline, wood stain, wood deck sealer etc. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Home repair

lbbss

Reply to
lbbss

On 7/2/2008 9:40 AM lbbss spake thus:

Well, yeah: the first that springs to my mind is a question: why would you have *any* "fumes" from your stored chemicals? If you've got fumes, you're doing something wrong, like not hammering on the lids of paint cans (I see that all the time), not screwing on caps tightly, or just plain storing them in a sloppy, unsafe manner.

If your chemicals are properly stored and looked after, there should be no problem storing them in the garage (assuming you also observe other common-sense precautions, like not storing flammables anywhere near a source of flame like a water heater, etc.).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I agree that if stored in original containers there should be no fume problem. Storage under ambient conditions is recommended for all household type chemicals or pesticides that I know of and freezing or overheating can cause decomposition, so storage in the attic is out.

Reply to
Frank

Some move down, some move up. I would store them where they are more accessible in case of a spill or something. It would be easier to clean.

You can always put your chemical cabinet near the edge of the garage and have a vent on it to the outside.

Reply to
CL "dnoyeB" Gilbert

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Agreed and I'll add, my concern wouldnt be fumes but heat. That uninsulated attic if he's in the south is going to exceed safe temps for aerosol cans etc.

Because my garage (attached, not insulated but house on that wall is) is quite hot in summer, we got a simple storage locker on the screened porch for such things as gasoline and spray cans. It's vented and in the shade of the porch. Designed for this type of use, we drilled in a few more vent holes. We dont have many things to store in it, but the garage is hotter than the porch. In winter, we move the stuff to the garage.

Rubbermaid I think it is?

Reply to
cshenk

Fumes do not factor into the storage location if the containers are properly closed.

Physical integrity/environment of the containers is really the only factor to consider: heat, protection from damage, rust, etc. That is, the type of storage is determined by its effect on the chemicals or the chemicals' containers, not the chemicals' effect on you.

Reply to
HeyBub

I keep gasoline, pesticides and propane in the shed 50' away from the house. I built a little cubby out by the pool for my pool chemicals. Regular cleaning chemicals are in a cabinet with a child lock in the house..

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, but as soon as you open the cabinet, the concentrated fumes and bad smells enter your garage, so just as well leave them on a regular shelf.

Reply to
lbbss

Hmmm, I don't have much of chemicals to store. Whenever I need some, I buy enough to use it up. If I have store it, it's in the tool shed.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Concentrated fumes from what? As others have said, if stored and sealed properly there should be NO fumes.

Reply to
Doug Brown

Right, so why does OSHA have requirements for special cabinets with grounds and vents? Seems silly if everything is properly sealed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is for flammables in an occupancy that is not really designed for it. (no explosion proof containment for the electrical equipment, dampers on HVAC etc) It is also the reason why I keep all my fuels out in the shed. This is triggered by the amount stored. Your secretary can keep a little bottle of fingernail polish remover in her desk but if you had gallon or two of the stuff (acetone) you need that cabinet.

Reply to
gfretwell

lbbss wrote in news:8072f94f-be7b-4d3c-af83- snipped-for-privacy@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

So how do you get the vehicle in and out of the garage without without getting the toxic fumes from it in the garage?

How do you get into the house without letting those toxic fumes in?

Reply to
Red Green

lbbss wrote in news:8072f94f-be7b-4d3c-af83- snipped-for-privacy@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

How hot does it get there? Attic above insulation probably gets awfully hot. Containers may pop open or swell in extreme heat - I think safer is to keep in the garage. Things are somewhat less likely to pop open there, and are more closely monitored there than in the attic. If an item is marked "combustible" rather than "flammable", it is safe in your basement as long as you have a basement that does not get hot and the item is safe from spillage. Combustible liquids are supposed to need to be heated to at least 100 degrees F before producing vapors concentrated enough to be flammable or being able to be ignited by even a fairly large static electricity spark.

For that matter, most aerosol cans have warnings to not expose to temperatures exceeding 120 degrees F (approx. 49 degrees C). I think the garage attic above the insulation can get hotter than that. Bursting aerosol cans are a big problem - most have plenty of propane in them, and some have liquids that are flammable outright, and some have combustible liquids that become flammable (this means spark-ignitable and capable of causing "flash fires" that spread close enough to instantly) at the high temperatures that an attic can achieve.

If you have any chemical products that you have at most only fair chance of ever needing again and low chance of using within a few years, consider getting rid of them. See if any friends or neighbors have a need for them. Then check into thrift shops and your county's household hazardous waste disposal program.

Don Klipstein