Attic Firewalls legal or not?

Our building was split into separate properties decades ago. You can get from one to another in the attic. I think modern Regs would insist in firewalls to slow the spread of fire. Is this backdated or legal as it is?

One of the properties is rented, I know rental electrical regs are stricter, are there regs saying rented properties must have fire breaks?

George

Reply to
George Miles

might be a fire resisting ceiling to the two flats rather than needing a fire wall in the attic.....

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

Ask Building Control?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Not if the 'property split' was informal and neither planners nor building control know about it :-)

Reply to
Andrew

You misunderstand. Ask Building Control what SHOULD have been done. If it is over 10 years ago there may be no enforcement options available but it should answer the OP's question.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

In that situation, would your fire insurance be invalidated?

Reply to
HVS

Yes you used to see the result of multi occupational property fires on the news some years ago, once the fire breaches the ceiling its usually a done deal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa