Garage floor paint - pros? cons?

Are there any significant pros or cons to painting the garage floor with garage floor paint? Or, is it just a gimmick to get people to buy more stuff they really don't need?

Reply to
TheDaveĀ©

You're better off putting sealer on it.

Reply to
Bob

Well, it looks better for a while; but then the paint starts coming loose depending upon the quality of your cleaning job. Dirt, oil and other petroleum products are the culprits and it's impossible to get the last bit out of concrete via cleaning.

I use a clear sealer every few years. It doesn't flake off, but it does wear off eventually. The sealer keeps the concrete in good condition and makes it easier to clean. In my area road salt is used and so the sealer minimizes the damage to the floor.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

"TheDave©" wrote in message news:aZwCf.15$ snipped-for-privacy@fe16.lga... : Are there any significant pros or cons to painting the garage floor : with garage floor paint? Or, is it just a gimmick to get people to buy : more stuff they really don't need?

Probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other .

Personally, I think there are valid pros to it. Cement "dusts" considerably without protection of some kind, with results ranging from wear of the surface to tracking it into the house to an abrasive dust in the air whenever it's stirred up. Oh, and of course, a painted surface cleans up a lot easier too if, like we do, you occasionally use the garage for a party or eating place during reunions, stuff like that. I also like the looks of it a lot better, and the fact that I can wax my car in the garage on hot days without worrying about scrubbing the dust abrasives into the paint. EAsier to see things you drop too, especially if they go under the car or near a tire .

Probably the most important part of such a job is proper preparation of the cement beforehand. You have to get the right materials to remove or neutralize oil drippings, greasy spots, etc., but it's not hard to do with the right products. Most any car parts place has the right stuff, and the instructions are good as I recall. Then you do a final etching with Muriatic acid on any bare concrete and you're ready to paint. I used a latex product on mine because, after a little study, I liked the idea of wetting the cement to let the paint "into" it as opposed to just sealing it on the top surface. And no, it's NOT true that latex products will stick to tires; as long as you're using the proper product and let it cure properly. I think I gave it a week before I put the cars on it; not sure, but I waited longer than it said I had to, just to be sure. We moved here in '83 so I think it was first painted in '85. I'm pretty sure it was '99 when I redid it, using the same color so I didn't have to go under the benches, etc.. It was pretty well worn by that time, especially where the car tires sat, but still in decent shape. I think the trick is to do repaints before the cement's actually re-exposed. It took a LOT less paint that time since it was still "sealed" or whatever you want to call it. It's 2006 now, and it's getting ready for another redo. I've been sick the last few years so I haven't done as good a job as I used to of keeping the salt, slush & sand swept out every now and then. There's even some cement poking thru this time. Plus, for whatever reason, my wife likes to turn the steering wheel while the car's not moving, and that's rough on any floor. This year I've taken to laying cardboard where she parks just to protect the floor a little until I get to redo it next summer.

No experience with the epoxies and high-end stuff you can use on a garage floor, but I've seen a couple that look as good as the day they were put down. They even always look waxed. And, a little slippery when wet, I might add. But, I'm not that much of a perfectionist, nor that rich . You can't really do it on the cheap, but it's not necessary ot go broke to do it either as long as you pay attention to what you're doing and the instructions on the materials.

I have a neighbor that does his with regular house paint. He has to redo it every few years, but you know, it still works out OK for him. I don't recommend it though; it's affected by too many different solvents used in a garage.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Need? Well I did not need it when I did mine, but I am very glad I have it. The garage is a much nicer place to be in and easier to keep clean.

Many people have had bad experiences with painting a garage floor. I believe that most failed to properly prepare the floor and or properly apply the proper materials.

Any short cuts to doing the prep work and you have a result worse than nothing.

Standard floor paint will not work. Heavy hot tyres will tear up most materials and few of the rest can handle the oils and abuse a garage floor gets.

There are no short cuts here and buying the cheap product is a very poor idea. Most every one, including myself, will recommend the two part epoxy products. Some of the other products may work OK, but most people who are happy with their results have used the two part products.

Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you're realy serious about painting the floor & wanting it to last

use Industrial DTM Epoxy Mastic (9100 System) 2 coats

I've been using this product on shop & garage floors for the last 20 years.

I have been extemely satisfied.

The last garage floor I painted was 5 years old when I prepped & painted it. It had some oil spot & some small (larger than harline) cracks. The stuff's been down for 6 years. Mountain environment, snow, sometimes tire chains, road ashes. Some cars w/ small oil leaks.

So far so good (again) lloks like I'll get at least 15 years before I'll recoat (not needed but to maintain coating integrity). Witht he second go 'round, the stuff will probably outlast me.

cheers Bob

Has he

Reply to
BobK207

May look pretty....for a short time... MAYBE !

Personally I restore and play with old cars as a hobby...

I sealed the concrete floors of my "garage/shop" a few weeks after the floor was poured with 10-15 gallons of Hydrolic Oil...let is soak in and dry ....... leaves a nice dull gray surface that will not absorb oil etc that I unfortunately still spill .. IT LOOKS GOOD... CLEAN UP (after an "opps") is EASY

But I do not park my every day vehicles or store tractors or lawn mowers, etc in this building...

Bob .

Reply to
Bob G.