Paint for concrete garage floor?

Been thinking of painting my garage floor as it's always magically dusty, as only a rough concrete floor can do! First of all, do I need to prime/seal it with something special, or do the floor paints do that with the first coat?

Second of all - I've seen "special" garage floor paints which are at least £5 a tin more than normal floor paints. All I can see on the tin to justify this is that they are .. ahem .. heat resistant against hot tyres. Now it may just be me, but even when I drive the be-Jesus outta my car and park it up, the tires get just above a temperature that's bearable to touch. In general terms that's not really *that* hot though. The brakes and engine on the other hand would blind a man with night-goggles on!

Does normal paint really not withstand the "massive" heat of just above comfortable hand hot tyres? Is it just a rip off? Has anyone found paint attached to their tyres the next morning due to thermal meltdown of the floor!?

al

I bought two tins from Wickes, one their garage floor sealer, two their garage floor paint. Prepared with a damn good sweep followed by a wash with soapy water. Use a roller on a pole to apply and don't paint yourself into a corner.

Only problems were: an oily patch from a previous owner, should have used something strong to remove that. A patch of efflorescence on the concrete which rejected both sealer and paint, not sure what to do about that one though. Apart from those it has worked well after 3 1/2 years and now the only dust is the wood dust the shopvac doesn't get.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

You could just seal it with PVA diluted with water (instructions on the container for mix) otherwise if you use special paints they often still need to be diluted (spirits) before the first coat.

Jc.

Reply to
Josey

Don't suppose you remember what size & cost they were? How much did you have to use to cover the full floor - was it a single or double garage?

al

single garage, medium size tins, about 4l from memory. I still have some of the paint left after two coats though I used all the sealant.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby