Linoleum for garage floor?

My garage floor is not as neat as I would like tit to be: There are some oil droppings from my engine and my wife's car leaves a lot of black blotches from her tires when she turns her wheels in the garage while the car is stationary (she has trouble getting in and out of the garage).

I would use an epoxy finish but there are some areas on the concrete floor with efflorescence, which would probably make the epoxy flake off.

For appearance sake, can I just buy some sheet linoleum and glue it to the affected areas of the garage floor? Would the linoleum stick to the hot tires?

Has anyone tried this? Thanks

Reply to
Walter R.

leave bare concrete, or replace the floor and epoxy it.

with high undervehicle temps linoleum is a fire hazard and will distort under tires too.

theres special under vehiclew mats made for this application but sorry dont know the name

Reply to
hallerb

It is better if the floor is dead clean before you put on the epoxy. The kit (I've used 2 of them on a double garage) has an acid etchant. Says concrete should be at least a couple of months old, etc.

There are drip pan you can slide under a car to catch oil drips. Maybe $10 in any good auto parts store. I have a Jeep Cherokee that oozes oil and grease...

The tire problem is of concern... I have removed the epoxy in a couple of spots with tire turning. I suspect I might not have gotten the epoxy on thick enough. You should roll a genereous coat, IMHO.

Reply to
professorpaul

I would not consider linoleum for a garage floor. It likely would not hold up to the hot tyres and oils etc that would get on it, and I would not want the potential fire hazard. I would also be worried about it becoming slippery when wet or oily.

I have seen a couple of tile products, one I believe was a rubber based product and the other something more like vinyl. Good Luck

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you're realy serious about painting the floor & wanting it to last

I would use Rustoleum Industrial DTM Epoxy Mastic (9100 System) 2 coats

here's the tech info on prep & application

I've been using this product on shop, lab & garage floors for 20+ years years.

I have been extemely satisfied.

The last garage floor I painted was 5 years old when I prepped & painted it.

It had some oil spots & some small (larger than harline) cracks. The stuff's been down for 6 years. Mountain environment, snow, sometimes tire chains, road ashes. Some cars w/ small oil leaks.

No summer peel off (yet)

So far so good (again) looks like I'll get at least another 10 years before I'll need to recoat (not sure it will be needed but to maintain coating integrity). With the second go 'round, the stuff will probably outlast me.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Just an idea:

4x8 plywood sheets. Paint them. Lay on the floor.
Reply to
HeyBub