Sound proofing condo floor?

I would like to know if there is some type of material I can lay underneath my carpet in my condo to help with soundproofing. Under the carpet is a thin layer of concrete. My carpet is old and cheap, and hopefully I can find something to help with the noise below. Thanks

Reply to
ephedralover

New carpet and good padding.

Reply to
Bob

Do you think this improvement be noticeable?

Reply to
ephedralover

Yes, but explain the problem to a carpet installer first. Some types of padding absorb sounds better than others. Get the thickest carpet also, which should help.

Reply to
Bob

Joseph Meehan

are you trying to soundproff flor to help resident directly below you?

there are new drywall products that would be applied to the cieling below you to help.

try new carpeting and pad first

Reply to
hallerb

are you trying to soundproff flor to help resident directly below you?

there are new drywall products that would be applied to the cieling below you to help.

try new carpeting and pad first

Reply to
hallerb

are you trying to soundproff flor to help resident directly below you?

there are new drywall products that would be applied to the cieling below you to help.

try new carpeting and pad first

Reply to
hallerb

Trash the speakers, get a good head set, and before long you won't need the volume turned so high. Problem solved.

Reply to
Norminn

The neighbor should just put up with the few hours of screaming when the OP entertains their SO.

Reply to
Bob

I wouldn't mention my post if I wanted the downstair resident to go along with this. There was a case on the People's Court like this, and the downstairs owner would't go along with ceiling covers. The judge on her own initiative pointed out that he would be the one stuck with repairing it, especially if the upstairs owner sold and moved. And stuff like that.

Of course in this case, the upstairs owner had removed all teh carpet etc. down to the cement floor, which she finished with something and called "beautful". The downstairs owner had had to lower the rent hundreds a month that he was charging to get his tenant to stay for a few more months and even then he moved, and it couldn't be rented for some time after. I think the Board of the building had ruled against her, the upstairs owner.

By the time they got to court, both had sold.

mm

To properly answer your question, it first has to be determined what the frequency range of the noise you're hoping to ameliorate is. If it's bass boom from someone's stereo, there is nothing you can do with carpet padding. Only mass, lots of it, will help. If it's clattering dishes and other high frequency noise (which I doubt, if the floor is concrete), carpet padding would be more effective. Speech falls somewhere in between. Really, if you are getting noise leakage through a concrete slab, you have more serious problems with the neighbors below.

-- Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at:

sites at:

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Its both, tv noise, talking, etc. from the unit below. I'm not as concerned about them hearing me. The concrete floor is not a 'slab' meaning its a really thin layer of lightweight concrete. Provides little more insulation, IMO, than a thick layer of drywall. The acoustic sealings in all the units have been scraped. Im sure that doesn't help.

Reply to
ephedralover

In almost all high rise condo's in our area it is required to use soundproofing under tile, and we mostly use

1/4" cork, which is economical and effective. It comes in large rolls, 48" wide. You glue it down with cork glue, which is much like tacky carpet glue. It costs about $1 a sq.ft and works well to reduce the transfer of noise to units below. Add padding and carpet and I don't know how they'll hear you below unless you're running a 400 amp boom box. Search the Co....I think it's called Accousticork.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

A lot of condos do not allow tile on upper floors. I'm sure glad our upstairs neighbor has carpet, no kids and no stereo :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Yes, our HOA does not allow hard flooring on second story units. I will look into the cork though. May help with that and some really nice padding under my new carpet.

Reply to
ephedralover

clipped

It's doesn't seem to be in style these days to have any respect for one's neighbors. Our upstairs neighbors have carpet and take off shoes. No stereo or loud TV. They have a huge dog who makes a "thud" when he lies down. Hubby makes funny noises when he is home alone, but we won't go into that. Not much else going on up there, but you want to be careful about what the neighbors can hear :o)

Reply to
Norminn