Microwave Thumping Sound

I own a 1.4 cubic foot Frigidaire microwave unit. The motor switches direction apparently at random. It's not related to the door opening or closing. Anyway, the unit functions normally when the turntable moves in the clockwise direction. Though, when the turntable begins to move in the counterclockwise direction, a fairly loud thumping sound has begun to sound. Any ideas?

Reply to
Charles W

Maybe it's time to clean out the shrapnel from under the turntable?

Reply to
Grumpy Old White Guy

replying to Grumpy Old White Guy, Charles W wrote: Everything is spick n span inside the microwave chamber and under the turntable. As I said, all is well the clockwise direction. It's only when the rotation turns counterclockwise that the thumping occurs. Clearly it's coming from beneath the sheet metal at the bottom of the chamber.

Reply to
Charles W

if your microwave is a common cheap model probably better to buy a new one

Reply to
bob haller

"Charles W" wrote in message news:2e148$585fe239$a2d350aa$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Just replace the microwave turntable motor.

Reply to
catalpa

or disconnect it.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

replying to bob haller, Charles W wrote: A new one would no longer smell like baked-in bacon - a scent that has taken years to mature ;-)

Reply to
Charles W

replying to Taxed and Spent, Charles W wrote: I hadn't thought of that - great idea! Thanks.

Reply to
Charles W

Charles-

I have a similar General Electric microwave that sometimes makes that kind of noise. I did not notice if it was related to direction of rotation, but that would explain why it does not always do it. I suspect the type of motor used for the turntable has a 50/50 chance of starting in either direction.

In the troubleshooting information that came with the GE microwave, the noise was mentioned. It indicated that there was no problem. As far as I can tell, the noise is related to a reaction between the small wheels under the turntable and the metal oven floor. I hear the noise if I manually attempt to rotate it. It is a nuisance but not a problem otherwise.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

replying to Fred McKenzie, Charles W wrote: Yeah, Fred, the direction of rotation of the turntable is totally random. I tried every possible combination of key presses, door openings, starting and restarting, and I was unable to control the rotational direction. I read somewhere that it's related to the position that the motor armature comes to rest - something about a cost saving feature for the manufacturer.

Glad to hear that the sound is not a problem - ah, the smell of bacon lives on.

Reply to
Charles W

In a timely development, our microwave just started thumping. My husband, a born problem-solver, identified that one of the wheels on the little carousel had popped off. You've probably already checked for that kind of thing already, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton