window leak/condensation

Hi,

I've got a window leak problem, due to condensation and sideways rain. It's a 30yr old porch with glass windows and metal frames. The windows are about 36 by 24. The side facing the outside is a screen, and the inside is glass. The glass can slide up but the screen seems fixed. I think that water condenses on the window and drips down into the sill, and eventually causes a damp spot inside, and some water damage can be seen in the wood trim and paint. The wood on the porch outside was fixed and painted/sealed last year but the leak still occurs with strong rains, so I suspect the sill. Is there a way to seal this without just filling it will caulk and permanently closing the window?

Thanks,

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com was thinking very hard :

Without fully understanding the leak you are speaking of; it is important to make sure your windows provide for drainage of the sill.

Many newer windows are made with weep holes. If you do not have these kind of windows and the windows and frames were not constructed to allow for drainage, then you might want to create your own weep holes.

For reference, see:

and

Sterling Archer

+1

We can't see how water is getting in, but like you say, weep holes in the sill to allow it to drain out are essential. In fact, it's possible whoever did the painting and caulking sealed up ones that were there. It's also not clear exactly how this window and screen are set up. Is there a complete storm window in winter, then an inside window?

Reply to
trader_4

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions about weep holes. I don't think there are any on this porch. I'm going to try a simple plastic covering on the outside screen before a heavy rain to help diagnose the problem, then go from there.

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee

If I understand your plan correctly, you are going to cover the window with plastic and wait for it to rain to see if you've stopped the leak.

If you don't get any water in the house what will that tell you? Assuming that the conditions (wind direction, force of rain, etc.) were such that you would have gotten rain in the house if the plastic wasn't there, all you will know is that windows are indeed leaking. You won't know where because you prevented the rain from coming in.

If it were me, I would use a hose on a *nice* day and spray the window - starting at the bottom - while someone looks for leaks on the inside. You can point the hose in any direction to simulate sideways rain, etc. If no water comes in, work your way up the window. The leak could be higher than you think.

If you don't get in any water in the house from the hose, then it may indeed just be condensation. At least you'll have a better idea of the root cause vs. just covering the window and stopping the water from ever getting to the window in the first place.

In short: Set it up so that *you* control the test as opposed to relying on Mother Nature to tell you what's going on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03