Insulating a window bay

In the course of renovations a window bay that was previously panelled over has been exposed. (This was where the main incoming fuse was hidden!)

The panelling is sometimes dripping with condensation, aggravated by a lack of extractor fans and the presence of an underfloor air vent that makes the panels cold. There doesn't appear to be any insulation between the panels and the stone/brickwork.

We'd quite like to turn that area into a cupboard (there's an existing wide shelf above it) but

Reply to
Tim+

But, but... where did the rest of my message go?

...but don't want to lose too much "volume". I know that this would be best achieved by what you suggest but I just don't like the idea of stripping out original woodwork unless really necessary.

It's a 100 year old house, solid walls + lath & plaster. I don't suppose there's much behind the panelling though.

The floor is "work in progress". Because of pre-existing cables the original joiner (who was replacing some rotten joists) didn't go into the alcove. The new joist are actually resting on a timber plate on top of some DPC so I think they're okay. A bit annoying that he didn't do the alcove though.

I've lifted the remaining floor in the alcove to remove the old cables and plan to extend the existing new joists which *won't* be resting on the ground.

Regarding insulation, I'm wondering how much thickness of Celotex/Kingspan is worth adding in this small area given the relative lack of insulation elsewhere. No point in going too bonkers I suppose?

Any suggestions of easy to cut and install insulation that's available in small quantities? If it has plasterboard bonded to one side so much the better.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

A very small thickness makes all the difference. PB fronted insulation is always polystyrene AFAICT, and I wouldn't want that in the house. Bad news in a fire.

The overall problem is as you say lack of insulation, and maybe too high RH, the cause of which might be anywhere.

FWIW some wood survives sat on soil, but not of course cheap softwoods. Such constructions must have dumped a ton of water vapour into the building.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

You can get PB faced Celotex:

Though for one reason or another I ended up using separate celotex and plasterboard when I did my bathroom wall.

Reply to
Chris French