UPVc Bay window - structural?

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice as we're looking at buying a house that we already know has some problems. A previous sale fell through due to the survey, and we have been told that the downstairs bay window was replaced at some point with a UPVc frame without the correct support which has caused the wall above the window to sag.

Apparently the repairs required would involve removing the upstairs window and the sagging wall then replacing the downstairs window with a new one with correct supports built into the structure, installing an appropriate lintel, rebuilding the wall and replacing the window above.

My questions are, is this a big problem, is it likely to damage much of the internal decor and how much should we anticipate to pay around the Manchester area for this kind of work? Also, if we were to DIY would we need building regs approval etc.?

We will of course get a survey if we proceed but it would be handy to have a rough idea of the options before negotiating with the vendor.

Many thanks in advance, Richard

Reply to
Richard Conway

A bit more information or a picture would help. Can you see any distortion/bending/bowing of the uprights (mullions) in the downstairs frame - enough to confirm sagging of the wall above it?

Do you know what the wall above the frame is made from? Bay windows often have only a simple wooden stud frame between the upper and lower bays. Are there brick pillars in the bay or is the window a one piece frame? If it's a stud wall as suggested it would probably be a fairly simple job provided the lower frame can support the weight. You might have to replace the lower frame with a stronger version but these frames are often installed in sections and this could be done without disturbing (apart from jacking) the upper frame and stud wall.

You haven't mentioned the roof of the bay which might be the real source of the problem. Is there any sign of that sagging?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero