no lintel above window

I have just noticed that the mortar in the brickwork above the window, in my sons bedroom, is cracking in the first course of bricks, and 2 of the bricks have "fallen" slightly. I have been told that the original wooden window acted as a lintel, and the new plastic one doesn't have the same effect. As anyone come across this problem, and any ideas how to solve it. One of the neighbours said a steel plate 1/4 inch ox 2 inch, spanning the window like a lintel, would be ok, but I am not sure. Thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil

I had the same problem. Only two courses above windows. A builder inserted a steel angle joist and replaced the bricks above the biggest window. Above two smaller ones he did some re-mortaring of the bricks. £130.

Reply to
john

Yes, a common problem with incompetent window contractors. Get it fixed before the wall collapses. A metal angle lintel would indeed be a suitable solution.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks John and Christian. Without appearing to stupid what is an "angle lintel". I have only had dealings with catnics and concrete ones.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Dunno - I didn't see it. I got the impression it is a L shaped steel strip where the back upriight sits behind the course of bricks.

Reply to
john

Look at

john

Dunno - I didn't see it. I got the impression it is a L shaped steel strip where the back upriight sits behind the course of bricks.

Cheers John I will see if I can get one from builders merchants tomorrow. Maybe they do a galvanised one. Neil

Reply to
Neil

I have checked this site out and looks promising. I have emailed them asking for details of stockists. Neil

Reply to
Neil

All builders merchants stock them. I think I've seen them in Wickes too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel