Procedure for installing window lintel

In removing the render above a window I'm about to replace, I've revealed an absence of any lintel on the outer skin of bricks (there's a softwood lintel on the inner skin).

I'm planning to install a simple L-shaped steel lintel above the 1800mm opening, on which I thought I'd run a course of soldier bricks.

Should I use shore-props (acrows) and if so, what's the procedure for removing the old window / shoring the opening / installing the lintel?

I just can't figure how to time slotting in the acrows and oiking out the old window without getting a whole lot of bricks on my head.

Reply to
oddjobboy

If the brickwork above is sound (or more importantly, the mortar) then you can just whip it out and it 'should' hold, although even if it's soft, you will only usually get brickwork coming down in the shape of an upturned V, given that the keyed in bricks cannot move. If you are uncomfortable doing it this way you will need acrow props.

1) bang out a few bricks about 18 inches up from the top of the opening, inside and out. 2) Slide through this hole a 5ft piece of timber, 8X2 or similar, and place an acrow prop under each end, tighten up, but not so much that you 'lift' the brickwork above....(make sure the 8" is in place of a complete brick outside) 3) remove and replace lintel and brick up accordingly, leave for a couple of hours, then remove props and timber and place the last 2 bricks, one inside, one outside, job done.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

=========================== You can save time and effort by using one or more 'strongboys' on the acrow prop(s). These provide support from one side. See here for how they're used:

hire shops have them for hire.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Brilliant. Thanks everso much. That makes perfect sense. Previously I just couldn't picture how to do it.

I'm happy with getting the ground floor windows done in this way, but I'm still a little worried about the upstairs. Presumeably I'd have to forego the Acrow altogether and rely on the timber beams above to support the roof as I insert my lintel?

I've illustrated what I'm trying to do here, if you're interested.

again. You helped me overcome my DIY-catatonia. Very frustrating. All work just ground to a halt.

Reply to
Buzby

Maybe a 'Strongboy' for the upper floor would do the trick. What would I do without you guys on GGroups?!

Reply to
Buzby

======================= The 'strongboy' is used on the top of an acrow - not on its own. You can use acrows upstairs provided that you take the support down to ground level, but for the job you're contemplating the floor joists themselves might be strong enough without supporting down to ground level.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Perhaps you'd realise that uk.d-i-y is a Usenet newsgroup, and nothing at all directly to do with Google. Oh, maybe you'd learn to quote properly, too.

Apart from that, good luck with your project.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I didn't realise uk.d-i-y wasn't anything to do with Google. You're quite right.

And I made a pig's ear of logging in as 'Oddjobboy' and replying as 'Buzby' too. Sorry about that.

I'm not sure what's considered best practice when quoting. I tend to delete much of the original message to isolate my message from those of other respondents. Maybe that's not the done thing.

Reply to
Oddjobboy

Hey! If you are the poster I replied to, sorry if I appeared a bit tecthy, Google is beginning to be a bit of a PITA regarding posts from it, since its' posting defaults are a bit daft. It gets up my hooter rather.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Whaddya mean? It's Google Groups - says so at the top of the page!

Reply to
Phil

I don't like them. Apart from anything else, they are always in the way, especially in situations like this, given that the props will only be a few inches away from where the lintel will be going, hence my reccomendation for a 5ft timber :-) this gives you a foot or two on each side to work in while levelling the lintel and bricking up. They are perfect in other situations though....I've used them to 'jack up' steel girders etc and a few other situations.

Reply to
Phil L

Quote enough of the original to make it clear what your reply is about. Make sure the attributions are correct. Show [Snip] where you have snipped anything. Accept full responsibility for everything you have posted (so don't repeat scurrilous rumours).

And apologise for anything you do wrong.

;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Kudos to you for that.

Welcome to the real usenet, where a dizzying, wonderful torrent of information, debate and hate-mail flows sweetly without any need for the Googleplex. Of course you do realise that the Agents will be after you now...... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

try to annoy as many people as possible.

Dont forget the other rule, on joining uk.d-i-y you have to send each of us =A35. Then we'll bne your buddy for life.

Oh silly me, I was thinking in spam mode.

NT

Reply to
meow2222