Work Around Part P for Kitchen Supply

Hi all

To complete one phase of work and get flooring down etc., I want to re-join the downstairs ring and create a separate feed to the kitchen. Some time ago I moved the split in a split CU to give an extra RCD protected breaker. Due to certain sockets having been removed during building works, the start and end of the local kitchen ring present with junction boxes. So I wanted to run separate feeds from the CU to these and close up the existing ring.

Because this wiring will, for the moment, go into the kitchen loft and not enter the Kitchen "room", can it be argued that this is not a special location? (I will leave these wires long to be pulled into appropriate sockets when kitchen re-work is decided). Ideally I would like to run the new feeds to the kitchen in new colour cable, but then it will stand out as a job carried out after the introduction of Part P.

So I guess what I'm looking for are some weasel words to convince the BCO that it was OK to run the new feeds provided it didn't involve work in the kitchen per se. Then once they have approved the second fix etc. I can simply connect up to the new circuit to the new feeds and strip out the old. Sounds a lot of fag I know, but I really need to keep an operational kitchen for as long as possible - so complete strip and re-wire at my pace of work is really not an option.

Any assistance appreciated.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Well, due to a timing cockup it seems that new colour T&E was available before Part P came into force - so no way of knowing it wasn't done in the short period between (unless the cable is marked 2006 or something of course :))

Anyway, wouldn't connecting up a ring be Part P anyway? I guess it could possibly be argued to be replacing an existing cable...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

"Andy R" wrote

Thanks Andy

Unfortunately, due to the building works for kitchen renovation, the BCO are already involved. They have cited the electrics as an outstanding compliance issue for a completion certificate to be awarded (as is now the case). Don't have a problem with their inspection of the kitchen works, but need to close off the original ring and lay on separate kitchen feed so I can re-build the rest of the house in the meantime.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"dmc" wrote

All the new cable I have seen has been date stamped unfortunately.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

There's 3 issues here:

  1. How to make the connection in accordance with IEE regs
  2. Who can do the work
  3. Inspection of the finished electrics
  4. If you have any doubts on this, would suggest you post on that topic explicitly
  5. Anyone can do the work in or out of the kitchen.

If you are *NOT* a member of a Part P scheme (or if you are, *AND* it is your own home) you must pre-notify LA Building Control of building work commencement. Either by building notice or laying of full plans. As you say the BCO is involved, you must have taken that step a while ago. So proceed with the work.

The LA cannot charge any further supplementary fees after it has accepted the building notice.

A part P member can undertake the work for you if you wish, but this will cost you more as he has to pay fees to his part P organization and there is no reduction in fees you have already paid to the LA. Note very well Part P membership is *NOT* a licence or permit to a member to inspect or approve your work. It only permits the member to undertake the work *HIMSELF* personally without prenotifying the LA.

  1. It is up to the LA BCO to inspect your work as he thinks fit. It is not up to you to provide any electrical certificate. However if you do provide suitable documantation & show evidence that you know what you are doing and did the job properly that may be all that is required. Again no further fee can be charged.

Rules are fairly clear in the new Part P approved doc (April 2006) paragraphs 1.18 to 1.29 on pages 11 & 12.

full doc is at

extract from ODPM Circular 8/2004:

Local authority charges for Part P work Local authorities should ensure that charges for checking full plans applications or building notices and carrying out inspections of building work, including that relating to Part P, are pre-fixed in their charges scheme as required by the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 1998. Authorities do not have powers to reassess a fixed charge, which they have levied for a particular application or notice, during the course of the work.

++++

HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

"jim_in_sussex" wrote

snip...............

Jim

Thanks for comprehensive and informative response.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

/snip/

You're welcome.

It might also help you to check out the draft document for the Part P

4/06 amendment. This is a wee bit more discursive and readable and goes into more detail of your rights and scope as a diy-er (or indeed a commercial but non-Part P member electrician).

The final version got legalised. The draft was on the (former)ODPM web site. If it has gone, I have a copy somewhere deep in this machine - please post & I'll see what I can find. Could email or post relevant extracts, but the whole is too long for email.

One point it makes very strongly is that it is *NOT* possible for the LA BCO to employ someone else to issue a BS7671 cert for your work. Only you as the installer could do that. If you feel unqualified by paper certificate or experience to do that it is up to the BCO to satisfy himself otherwise that the installation is up to standard. Read the draft for more explanation & background as to why. Although those explanations got condensed or chopped for the final, they still hold good.

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Indeed, my BCO says he will accept my certificate. He did physically inspect the wiring runs before the plasterboard went up, but didn't seem too fussed about doing any electrical testing.

I've just got my equipment back from the calibrators, so I should really get down to it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle