Building Regs Submission - Best Approach Part P

Hi all

I have recently had plans drawn up for alterations to a rear study extension and side kitchen extension. I know the spiel about kitchen being a notifiable zone for Part P.

My question is whether electrical work can be mentioned (but played down) on a general building regs application drawing and if this then satisifies the "notifiable" bit.

My intentions for the back room are to: Move light switches Move light fittings Add socket(s) Change socket(s) Include a return to the CU for the sockets (currently run as a radial spur!).

For the kitchen: A complete re-work is required in terms of locations of sockets, cooker point, lighting etc.

Question:

Can I cover these changes with general notes on drawing such as relocate switches (for back room) AND relocate sockets and cooker point to suite revised kitchen layout (to be determined)

Does this satisfy the notification bit? Are they likely to give a general approval and "overlook" reference to electrical work? Does this save me money in that the details are (sort of) included on this application rather than submitting a separate electrical application later? Is it better not to draw attention to electrical work at all?

Thanks for any input on this subject (particularly from experience!)

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I don't know what you mean by "played down". However, notifiable electrical work can (and should) be mentioned on the building notice application. No further application is needed.

I don't see why not. I would just say something like "Provision of electrical services to BS6761 to new extension and existing kitchen area." I'm sure they'd get back to you if they want more detail, whilst not going into detail gives you some flexibility in layout if they don't.

No. Do it properly.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:16:22 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "TheScullster" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking whether electrical works should be included on your application. The answer in your case is, yes. If the notifiable part of the work is 'part & parcel' of the extension and alterations, then the fees (AFAIK) are the same [1].

Building Control will be more interested in making sure that you can produce a suitable certificate (by a 'competent' electrician[2]) for the notifiable electrical work on completion, and may ask for such a note to be on the plans.

[1] I think the ODPM told Councils that they couldn't surcharge if there was electrical work involved. [2] See previous posts in this group ad-nauseum for a definition.
Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I read that as well but somebody here said their council came up with some sub-sub-clause which allowed them to.

Reply to
Mike