Building Regs

I'm replacing a hearth and Building Regs Part J specify that the constructional hearth has to have a depth of 500mm from the fireplace. Unfortunately there is a wooden joist 460mm from the fireplace. If I was to comply with the regs I would have to remove this part of the joist. It all seems a bit much for 40mm. What are the consquences of breaching the regs?

Reply to
Griffo

I would suggest discussing this with the local building control officer. They may easily give you a waiver.

The consequences are basically only if and when it is ever noticed. Which doesn't seem very likely in this case as the difference is so small. Murphy's Law inevitably applies - if you sell the new owners may want a new fireplace and then it would be found out.

At the very least you would have to bring it into conformity or pay for it to be done. Even then, my local building control guys are very reasonable and I suspect that they would give a waiver, even if someone got up there nose and didn't ask first. YMMV

Reply to
Palindr☻me

On 14 Feb 2006 11:57:01 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "Griffo" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If it's a repair or replacing like-for-like, then the Regulations don't apply. If you're installing a new fire, hearth or flue, etc, then the requirements apply.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

What a load of old tosh !

Reply to
the_constructor

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:52:56 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "the_constructor" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Care to expand on this?

Reply to
Hugo Nebula