Building Regs

I'm replacing a hearth and Building Regs Part J specify that the constructional hearth has to have a depth of 500mm from the fireplace. Unfortunately there is a wooden joist 460mm from the fireplace. If I was to comply with the regs I would have to remove this part of the joist. It all seems a bit much for 40mm. What are the consquences of breaching the regs?

Reply to
Griffo

Your house goes on fire.

However I think for straightforward replacement, provided you're not making worse than the existing, compliance with current Regs is not mandataory. (Except for central heating boilers, windows, etc etc etc)

Owain

Reply to
Owain