fireplace opening - lintel needed?

We had a "hole in the wall" gas fire fitted a week or so ago, which involved (the fitters) enlarging the builders opening (upwards).

Stripping the wallpaper today above the new fireplace surround, and some old plaster dropped away. I can see that the two bricks spanning across the 18" opening are not supported by a lintel or steel bar, and are drooping due to the mortar having crumbled. The row above are fine. The bricks will drop onto the fire if I do not do something.

Is it acceptable to not have a lintel or band? I can re-mortar the bricks in (less hassle than calling them back) but if there should be a lintel I will obviously get on the blower!

Any thoughts?

Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying

Reply to
Tim Hardisty

Personally, I'd have spanned the opening with at least a piece of angle iron of some sort to take the stress off the mortar and bricks, but that's just me.

Reply to
BigWallop

If these bricks are part of the flue, then you should recall the fitters to sort it out.

dg

Reply to
dg