fireplace lintel

Just started opening up a Victorian fireplace that has been plastered over. It looks like it may have been bricked up or filled with rubble, and my first thought is that there may have been a reason for this. Why wouldn't they have just plasterboarded over it? I can see that the top of the opening is arched with standard size bricks, and there are no signs of cracking. What I'm wondering is whether the course behind that was normally arched as well, or whether that could be straight with a lintel across it. If it's a case of suck it and see, fair enough, but maybe someone has experience in this area. TIA for any comments

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In message , Stuart Noble writes

The two I have opened up both have an iron *hoop* supporting the rear of the brick arch. The bricks are notched so you can't see it easily.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

First thing to do is burn a few bits of cardboard and run outside to see if the smoke comes out. The chimney might have been blocked intentionally or by dead birds / rubbish / etc.

Reply to
Emil Tiades

Thanks. The metal detector isn't picking anything up but I'll bear that in mind.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Got to open it up without the whole lot collapsing first :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble