Worktop jig

How easy is it to get a good result (barely visible joint) in a matt laminate worktop with one of these and a 1/2 inch router.

have one joint to make between two in-line lengths of worktop and one joint to make between two lengths at right angles.

I was considering getting a fitter in to do the jointing but then I discovered that jigs could be hired.

I have used a router in the dim and distant past and I do have some old worktop pieces to practice on but before I hire the jig and router I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has used a similar jig.

Reply to
robert

It is near impossible to get a joint that cannot be seen. I have done around 10 in the last year, and have never got a joint that is 'barely visible'. The joints are very smooth, when you run your fingers across, there is little, if anything, to tell there is a joint there, but you always see the line.

You will need a good cutter (Trend 12.7mm x 50mm), as well as a biscuit jointer, or biscuit cutter for the router. I wouldnt say it is easy, but it is possible to get good results, so long as you take your time, and make sure the jig is clamped perfectly in position, and with a new cutter.(the cutter can be chucked after 4, maybe 6 worktop joints, they wear out quickly) The hardest part IMO is the clamping up. Even with 4 biscuits across the joint, one, or both edges seem to work up slightly - the bolts must be putting so much force in that they are twisting the biscuits in the joint, it is only a quarter mill or so, but noticeable, so be aware of that.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

You can get a pretty good fit - however, it'll still be there and you can see it - although a casual glance (not like the microscopic inspection the missus will give your handywork) probably won't notice it. The joints are less noticable if the worktop is a dark colour. Also, use a sharp, or new, router bit.

Reply to
pete

Very good clamps are also essential to prevent jig moving,also use biscuits and a biscuit cutter and jointing compound

Reply to
ALex

Aligning the jig or getting the clamps to stay in place?

I take it that the bolts must be exactly in line with the biscuits?

Reply to
robert

In message , ALex writes

I have some large Record G clamps which I imagine would fit the bill. I have not used a biscuit cutter before but the principle seems relatively straightforward.

Reply to
robert

No, bolting up the 2 pieces of worktop.

No, the biscuits can go anywhere, use 4 or 5 if you can get them in, they cant go inline with the bolts, or you wouldnt get a bolt in. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I do this for a living

to see my pictures

I do not use biscuits,

I use a matching silicon sealant, color fill goes off to quick

I use 3 bolts & a dead blow hammer to tap the edges flush

Its a bit like riding a bike no hands, you fall off a few times then it is easy

If you are in my area call me it may be cheaper to pay me than hire the tools

Reply to
dave batter