Update: The worktop jig dilema

Recently I wrote asking about the thickness of the worktop jigs that you use with routers. Just for interest, the "budget" jig from Screwfix (note: not the 12m of oak-effect skirting board that they tried to fob me off with) is in-fact about 15mm thick.

Anyway, what a day - practiced with jig, no problems, so cut out the female joint on one worktop - beautiful results, so continued with new router to route a lip around the worktop (to fit under the tiles - the original worktop was 30mm, this is 40mm, so there needs to be a rebate to allow the edge of the worktop under the tile edge). Cut the piece to size, measured for the kitchen sink, and started cutting with jigsaw. Damned hard work - with downward cutting blades, the jigsaw bounces a lot, so I put more and more weight onto the worktop and the jigsaw to stop the bounce. This worked well, until I made the cut across the depth of the worktop; all of a sudden gravity kicked in and deposited me, the still whirring jigsaw and about 1/2 the worktop (say £50 worth) onto the floor (raises hand for Darwin nomination).

Repeated with the second worktop, although this time routed the sink hole with the worktop in situ (SWMBO has gone nuts over the sawdust) but at least this one's in place (shame about the hob, on the other worktop

- that's gonna have to wait for another worktop to be deliver - bang goes another ton), but hopefully I've learnt a few lessons.*

(* the one I didn't learn, was to remember to route the tongues for the worktop clamps - SWMBO did query what they were for when she found them underneath all the sawdust. "Bugger", said I, or words to that effect, whilst glaring at the newly fitted sink; Still - plan-B - which is achieveable - is to screw some battens on the underside of each worktop and clamp between those - there'll be no fouls, and it'll allow me more space to biscuit the worktops).

What a day.

(sorry for the rant, but I'm just coming off the boil)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I cutout for the sink using a set of hole cutters to cut the 4 holes for the radiused corners, and then a circular saw (from the rear, plunge cut) to join the 4 holes together. Need to be very accurate starting and stopping the cut. I might have used a jigsaw just to complete the circular saw cut squarely (it's a few years ago and I can't recall exactly now).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

And err.. when you've dun all that, coat the cut edges with a good varnish or similar waterproof, just in case the water should ever leak into the edges or joints such as it will if given half a chance and the sight ain't pretty;!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Oops, oh well it will probably be funny in a few years (well SWMBO will think so anyway! ;-)

Perhaps you ought to use the jigsaw to make a cutout (15mm oversize) in a bit of 1/2" ply. Then use that as a template for the router to make each of the cutouts...

Reply to
John Rumm

Ended up using the guide on the router to do the longitudinal cuts, and the clamped worktop jig as a guide for the lateral cuts (Her idea!).

Might do that (create jig) for when the next piece of worktop gets delivered - for the hob.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Glad to hear you're OK :) Having contributed my tu'pence to your thread; I've just remembered something ... when you're cutting out 'great chunks' of worktop for sinks or hobs etc ... make two parallel cuts for front/back or left-side/right-side -then screw two battens across the cuts to the inside of the area. Cut remaining sides - et volia! Nothing falls out/down ... the cut-off doesn't become more and more wobbly as your cut progresses ... and the bridging battens are a handy means of moving the off-cut out of way. {Saw it on Norm Abram's show ... tried it myself ... why didn't I mention it?)

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Grrr!

Reply to