Pneumatic Drill

I noticed a hammer drill offered for sale in Aldis today. It has an SDS-type tool chuck but describes itself as being a pneumatic drill. However, it is also electically powered. Is anyone here familiar with this tool, and able to say how it compares with a simple electrically operated SDS drill ?

Reply to
aam

YES it is a load of crap.

Bought one, took it back 3 days after purchase and got a refund, noticed 2 others had made a return with the drill.

Reply to
ben

Can't comment on the exact drill, but when it is described as 'pneumatic', that simply describes the way the bit is struck with the drills hammer. All SDS type drills use a piston which drives a hammer using air pressure.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Thanks for your answer Ben, You've saved me wasted journeys and aggravation.

Reply to
aam

Thanks for your post Dave, useful information for me to bear in mind in future.

Reply to
aam

had made a return with the drill.

Sure beats hiring, doesn't it?

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

had made a return with the drill.

Possibly, but that's a form of theft.

I looked at the recent "light" Aldi drill, but didn't buy it as I've already got a 900W one from the same place - the one with the "barrel" containing the motor. The latter has done a vast amount of work ove the last 18 months, or so, and has been quite satisfactory. It was £25 with some bits, too.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

yes, it is confusing, and I dithered about acquiring an SDS drill versus a 'B&D" hammer drill because the terminology seem designed to confuse the non-expert ...

Without commenting on any particular make/model ... but a 'decent' SDS ;drill' will have three operating modes viz; Drill (rotary only) - Drill and Hammer (rotary plus hammering - and Hammer (no rotation just hammering).

Now restricting the conversation to an SDS drill in the 'Hammer-&_Drill mode:

The SDS 'thingies' on the base of the drill-bits and/or chisels have a long groove - when inserted into the 'chuck' part of the machine this permits the drill/chisel to slide back-and-forth in the chuck; conversely normal drill-bits engage into a three-jawed chuck arrangement and are unable to move in-out {if you've tightened the chuck correctly).

An SDS drill actually hammers the bit's end causing the bit to go in-rebound_out _as_ the bit is being rotated. Although they're connected (by the motor) they are two distinct actions, hammer and rotate. The hammering comes from a piston which is pneumatically operated off 'pneu" generated by the electric motor.

Normally, one can vary the amount of 'hammer' force by the amount of 'squeeze' applied to the drill's trigger. After a short use it's surprising how sensitive on becomes to the amount of force applied.

A conventional hammer/drill of the old three-jawed chuck style of drill only generates the hammer action by a rotating wedge 'thingy' and basically reacts to the operator (you) applying your force to the device. That's why these devices are hard work and why it's difficult -if not impossible - to drill precise round holes where you want them in masonry. The drill is trying just as hard to move _you_ as it is to rotate the bit.

SDS drill normally only generate 'pneu' action when the bit is in contact with the work and has been depressed (pushed) into the machine to operate a switch.

So the drill you've encountered is calling itself 'pneumatic' to distinguish itself from the 'Hammer Drill' mode of the other style.

In my experience , they're all electrically operated ... at the scale we're discussing in this NG.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock