Chest freezers - light not working

What controls the light in a fridge freezer?

Mercury switch, micro switch?

The next time I visit my parents they want me to make the light work on their freezer. The lamp has been changed to no avail?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

"fridge freezer" should read "chest freezer", sorry,

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:44:50 GMT, "ARWadsworth" scrawled:

Plunger type affair, or some sort of switch. Depends what the manufacturer can get the cheapest that week so they're not always a generic switch for all models.

Have they screwed it in far enough? Some cheapo lampholders need to have the bulb wound in with some good pressure to the point you think you're going to break it before it's in far enough for the live pin to make contact.

Reply to
Lurch

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:52:00 GMT, "ARWadsworth" scrawled:

Hmm, I must be telepathic, I had chest freezer in my mind when I replied before reading this. I thought it did say chest freezer.

Reply to
Lurch

It did on the header not in the message.

Maybe I should have kept quiet.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That will be my first check. My parents do have old hands and they changed the lamp themselves.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is a little pixie hidden in each freezer. His job is to switch the light on and off as people open the door.

Have you ever noticed food disappearing from the freezer? It's the pixie who eats it.

(Ever wondered why socks disappear in the washing machine? It's the 'bubble blowing' pixie who steals them)

The pixie is either dead or has fallen asleep. Open the dor and shout "wake up" really loudly. If the light still doesn't work then the pixie is probably a deceased pixie.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Where do I buy a new pixie :)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I didn't know it affected freezers, but the problem of dead pixies is well-documented on LCD screens.

Owain

Reply to
Owain