Permutit PSM-65 water softener trouble

Dear All,

I've just recently acquired one of these softeners and have just got to the commissioning step.

Has anyone got one of these that can help me.

I have followed the instructions in the accompanying leaflet to the letter.

I have turned the appropriate dial to the backwash position and closed the bypass valve and opened the inlet valve.

Apparently I should here the blue tank filling and air and then water coming out of the waste pipe - but I get nothing.

I've checked that my inlet pipe is not blocked and the waste pipe is not blocked, and none of the pipes are kinked. (I know I should really have hard plumbed it but I need to be able to move it if necessary)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

As an aside I don't seem to be able to get the nylon adapters to screw into the back tight enough so they still weep a bit - I must have used about 15 turns of PTFE tape so far - do I really need more???? or am I missing a washer (only had washers supplied to go between the adapter and the hose not between the adapter and the softener).

Corr - sorry that's got a bit long.

Hope some kind sole can help

Jon Edwards

Reply to
JonE

I don't have this particular model, but do you know if it's a timer type or a demand metered type? This really triggers the regeneration mechanism which is essentially similar for both types. THe timer approach is obvious, with the metered type, there is a volume meter which triggers regeneration after so much water has flowed.

There is then an over-ride mechanism in most cases whereby you can force a regeneration cycle. Since all of this is normally mechanical with a set of valves and gears, it's possible that the mechanism has simply latched in a funny state. I would suggest undoing the outlet hose and seeing whether you can get water to flow through the machine. Then turn the over-ride control until the mechanism triggers and let it run the cycle.

You could also look at the valve and see which make and model it is. There are not many manufacturers, but Autotrol is a major one. If you can find the manual for the valve on the valve manufacturer's web site it will probably have more information.

Again the valve manufacturer's data should help.

As long as he's in the right plaice.

Reply to
Andy Hall

And is Brill with softners and Dab hand at plumbing?

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh my cod.....

I think you're floundering now.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It was late, I must have been Breaming!!!

The valve is an Autotrol 460i (It is a metered machine) and I've found the manual at:-

'll have a look at it.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
JonE

You might want to check the salt settings when you have it working. It should have been preset for the size of resin tank but possibly not for hardness of water. Some Googling will reveal the conversion factor between the American method of measurement used in the spec. and the European ones. Your water supplier should have the hardness of your water as a figure he can give you. It makes sense to get this reasonably right so as to provide enough softening capacity but not waste salt.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Is that your sole contribution to this thread?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for that,

The salt setting bit is one thing the manual is good on and I got a water hardness test kit in with the softener.

It reckoned that the hardness was 271ppm so I phoned Thames water who told me 274.5ppm - not a bad result from the kit then.

I'm still having truble getting these nylon fittings to seal correctly - do I just need to keep winding them with PTFE tape or do I need to resort to other means????

Regards Jon E

Reply to
JonE

That's where we came in. Keep up at the back :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

replying to JonE, Casper wrote: I think you should get a plumber to plumb it in properly softener need to be installed correctly failing that call out the manufacturers engineer.

Reply to
Casper

You are answering request for information that is now 11 years old, do you not suppose this problem has now been resolved?

Just for you:

John Rumm

It might not have been! That water softener might still be sitting there unused, waiting for the truly brilliant technical suggestion to get a plumber in. It stands to reason the OP from 11 years ago won't have thought of that, after all.

Did you know that 15 September is National Sarcasm Day?

Reply to
GB

This usenet Portal seriously needs to be excommunicated; On the other hand if they designed it so it was easy too figure out old from new it might actually be useful.; If this gets to that portal; come on; sort it or we will blockall messages from it.; Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe but who is this we , are you the fat controller or something.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You can do that already. Just set up a filter based on content containing the phrase "replying to". Seems to be the stock message opener from this site.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Filter on the header: