Slightly OT - Carpet Fitting Costs

Hello All

I've Just been looking at getting some carpet for upstairs. The area to be carpeted is 85sqm and the carpet is =A327 p/sqm. The price I was quoted includes door bars, underlay (cloud 9), grippers and also fitting. There are six doors.

I would be intersted to hear from you guys what you think would be a resonable price for the lot.

TIA

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

Underlay from the carpet supplier about £500, (although you could buy it on ebay for around £300).

Fitting around £150 - £200 inclusive of bits and pieces.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Or less still here:

Fitting around £150 - £200 inclusive of bits and pieces.

Unless you want stairs done as well, that costs more...

Reply to
John Rumm

Great and thanks to the both of you. The stairs will be included, how much more for stairs?

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

In Manchester it tends to cost around £1.25 - £1.50 per sq.yd for rooms, and £1.75 - £2.00 per sq.yd. for Hall Stairs and Landing.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

See my reply to John.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

OK thanks to the both of you. I was qouted =A33295 which I thought was a bit steep, I'm in Oxfordshire.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

They must be charging you something like £600 fitting?

Reply to
ben

In message , snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com writes

Presumably this included the carpet!! Plus £1,000 for underlay and fitting? a complete rip-off!

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I've Just been looking at getting some carpet for upstairs. The area to be carpeted is 85sqm and the carpet is £27 p/sqm. The price I was quoted includes door bars, underlay (cloud 9), grippers and also fitting. There are six doors.

I would be intersted to hear from you guys what you think would be a resonable price for the lot.

TIA

Cheers

Richard I am interested but I would like to know what the quality of the carpet was and how much it was a square m? I assume that you selected the quality before they quuoted Blair

Reply to
Blair

Depends on how they price it - but if they were doing fixed price of say

30 per room then stairs might be 50 - 75. Some price rooms by the sq m however...
Reply to
John Rumm

I'd be inclined to use a quality underlay, such as a 50 oz. or better felt.

No more than £2/sqm for the fitting, + grippers and thresholds.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

They dont come much better than Cloud 9

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

It's an absolute *triumph* of marketing. Carpet fitters etc. *love* it, as it's so easy to use, unlike felt, which isn't. Stockists love it, too, and will sell any amount of it to the trade (or anyone else) with the most profound feelings of pleasure!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Are you saying it isnt any good. I use it under fairly cheap carpets, and it provides a soft cushion which makes them feel much more expensive.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

No, just that it's very popular because it's easy to lay - even easier than "normal" ribbed rubber. Roll it out, spot it down with spray glue, tape the seams[1], whizz off any bits, done.

It's fine[2], 'though I'm not sure how long it will last - ISTR you're in the letting business; it may be more appropriate than felt for that, depending on what you let, to who.

[1] Last two operations "optional" for most fitters. [2] however, I think a good felt is still the best!
Reply to
Chris Bacon

OK - I chose it, rather than having it sold to me, based on a variety of research. Not sure what I thought about felt at the time.

Correct

I hope so, but why do you think so? - I let reasonably specified flats, (which I would happily live in), to reasonable working people, who seem to look after them reasonably well - so far, so good

I'll certainly consider it for the next few flats - what makes and product would you recommend?

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I used some of the 10mm thick ("Cirrus" IIRC) recently. Seems as good or better than any of the rubber based underlays we have elsewhere. Can't tell you how long it will last yet though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm