Carpet underlay - Cloud 9 or Duralay Gold?

Just bought expensive carpet from CarpetRight - Wessex Twist it's called. Not bad price - =A345 reduced to =A316 a square metre. However, naturally they want me to also purchase their incredibly expensive underlay - various flavours of Tredaire at between =A36.99 and =A38.99 a square metre, plus gripper rods at =A31.50 a metre.

Funnily enough they only charge =A32.30 a metre fitting, which is quite reasonable. However, the underlay is clearly where they make their money, so I've decided to source it seperately.

Anyway, after reading previous posts on this NG, it seems that Cloud 9 is a well regarded underlay. It's currently available on the internet at at around =A33 a metre for 9mm Cirrius, about 10% more for 11mm Cumulus. Independent fitters would fit this for about =A32 a metre.

I was going to go with this, but both local fitters that I spoke to instead recommended something called Duralay Gold. The price would come to pretty much the same, ie =A35 a metre for underlay, grippers and fitting. They both suggested it was rather better than Cloud 9, but then perhaps they would say this? (Since they will actually supply the Duralay themselves, presumably at a bit of an extra markup).

Can't find much info on the Duralay, certainly no info comparing it with Cloud 9. Does anyone have any views?

If it's of relevance, it's primarily for bedrooms, but will also be used for stairs and upper landings.

Many thanks for any advice.

Chris

Reply to
reellifetv

Funnily enough they only charge £2.30 a metre fitting, which is quite reasonable. However, the underlay is clearly where they make their money, so I've decided to source it seperately.

Anyway, after reading previous posts on this NG, it seems that Cloud 9 is a well regarded underlay. It's currently available on the internet at at around £3 a metre for 9mm Cirrius, about 10% more for 11mm Cumulus. Independent fitters would fit this for about £2 a metre.

I was going to go with this, but both local fitters that I spoke to instead recommended something called Duralay Gold. The price would come to pretty much the same, ie £5 a metre for underlay, grippers and fitting. They both suggested it was rather better than Cloud 9, but then perhaps they would say this? (Since they will actually supply the Duralay themselves, presumably at a bit of an extra markup).

Can't find much info on the Duralay, certainly no info comparing it with Cloud 9. Does anyone have any views?

If it's of relevance, it's primarily for bedrooms, but will also be used for stairs and upper landings.

Many thanks for any advice.

Chris

In the last couple of years I have fitted Cloud 9 Cirrus in two bedrooms and on all stairs and landings, either before new carpets were fitted or where old ones were lifted and the old underlay found to be too rough to put back. In all cases it has been fine. Dead easy to fit yourself; don't waste money paying others.

Reply to
rrh

I'd still go with a felt underlay, for that price you could get a good specification. You won't find carpet fitters recommending it, though, because while it will outlast other underlays in terms of time and comfort, it's more difficult to lay carpet on it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not related to your question as such but I'm surprised that you consider using the same carpet on stairs as in the bedrooms. I'd have thought you're either getting something inadequate for the stairs or too expensive for the bedrooms.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Sorry by felt do you mean Cloud 9 or Duralay?

Reply to
reellifetv

Yes the underlay is relatively easy to fit, but streching the actuall capets properly seems a bit of a challenge, and something I'm happy to contract a professional for

Reply to
reellifetv

Felt, not rubber or foam.

Chris Bacon